Firewire brand??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Firewire brand???

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I searched for everything on firewire and didn't see his question. I'm new here...

I recently got a new dell and instead of paying $40 for a firewire card to be installed i decided to get one myself and install it. However, I'm not sure what brand i should get. I'm looking at what seems to be a generic brand with an ALI chipset, it has 4 external usb ports (1 internal) and 2 external firewire ports (1 internal), it's $22. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well i know windows has an update that installs one. But im sure you want somthing better. I dont have any suggestions, pretty much they all supply the same features. Just some are more user friendly. So i would just look around and get what looks user friendly and is not more then 50$.

But make sure you understand it before you use it. Because all firewalls do is regulate what comes in the computer and what leaves the computer.

What im getting at is if your trying to do things online, Firewalls are notorious for making it difficult. So just make sure you read the manual alot when you start using the firewall.

Finished With TF.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

uh, lol i think you misunderstood him lol,
he said fireWIRE not firewall,
you know, the strange looking slot next to usb?
its usually used with external HDs or mp3/media players
Old 12-08-2004, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

this is best rated hub:

and this is card:

take ur pic
Closed Thread