finding out what type of RAM do i have

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

I was wondering how to find out what type of RAM do i have?

is it ECC/non ECC

i checked using the device manager settings and could not find out the details.

Go to any memory makers website like Micron , there will be a memory configurater utility you can download to show what you currently have and what the MB supports as well / or open the case there may be a sticker on the modules that will tell you /
Download and install SiSandra 2005 Freeware version that will also tell you what type of memory installed PLUS a lots of other important info about your system

thanks for the replies and links

why is ECC used in servers and what other stuff is it used in?

i tried the crucial site's memory determining tool and it did not work on my mono :( it came up with a blank, it came up with no recommendations for memory upgrades :(

i tried sandra, and it came up with synchronous DRAM 512 MB, but it did not tell me what kind of memory it was ecc/ non ecc

any ideas

PZEROFGH said:
most liikely you will have non ECC

www.crucial.com has a nice scanner

ECC is used in servers and stuff.

lol - I just ran the crucial scanner on my PC here at work.

It says i have "16MB currently installed" in only one slot. Which is funny because i built this PC and it has (2x512MB) PC3200 Corsair Value Select. Windows recognizes both modules fine and so does CPU-Z.

so crucial's scan does not really work

you mean to say windows tells you that you have
(2x512MB) PC3200 Corsair Value Select?

Is this CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php?

is there a performance difference between using 2 sticks of 512 MB PC3200 Corsair Value Select and 1 stick of 1 GB PC3200 Corsair memory?

what is the difference between a sodimm and a dimm? a dimm uses 184 pins and a sodimm uses 200 pins. i have previously used dimm's, i geuss my mobo can not use sodimm's, correct?

what do you guys think of this
Crucial 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL3
&
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184Pin DIMM 400MHz DDR RAM Non-Parity 2-3-2

crucial is for 35.49 and kingston is for 50 GBP, why is there such a price differential?

is it not true that previously we could not mix memories but now we can, why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom