Finally something good to say.... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2004, 01:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,280
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya
Default

Here is a statement from ATi about the heat issue in x800 cards.

ATI's engineer Eric Demers, recently commented on this issue:

"At over 100C or so at the die temperature, thermal issues and possibilities of permanent damage start being important (I would strive to keep it below 100C). Certainly by 125C, permanent damage will occur. Below, that, life expectancy is shortened with higher temperature, but you should be fine for a few years.

We test our boards up to 55C ambient temperature, and at that temperature, all of them work fine. Most computers have much lower ambient temperature, and the associated die temperature should be fine, except if there is a fan failure."
__________________

beedubaya is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 01:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
ag3
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,536
Default

You will definatly need a VGA heatsink/fan/tubes. The one I have in mind is very good, however it is only compatible with the 9800 architecture.

I am going to look into this right now, and I'll get back to u as soon as I can.

P.S.: That is awesome that u are clocked at those frequencies w/ out any artifacts. But keep in mind that artifacts don't happen right away, you have to let the card reach its maximum potential to find out if it will be stable.

But once you mount on sufficient cooling, that X800 will OWN.
__________________

ag3 is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 01:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
ag3
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by beedubaya
Here is a statement from ATi about the heat issue in x800 cards.

ATI's engineer Eric Demers, recently commented on this issue:

"At over 100C or so at the die temperature, thermal issues and possibilities of permanent damage start being important (I would strive to keep it below 100C). Certainly by 125C, permanent damage will occur. Below, that, life expectancy is shortened with higher temperature, but you should be fine for a few years.

We test our boards up to 55C ambient temperature, and at that temperature, all of them work fine. Most computers have much lower ambient temperature, and the associated die temperature should be fine, except if there is a fan failure."
That may be the case with ATi built cards, however yours was built by VisionTek and is only powered by the R420 GPU (ATi). So their cards may respond differently to extended use under those heating conditions.
ag3 is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Nubius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,600
Default

Quote:
That may be the case with ATi built cards, however yours was built by VisionTek and is only powered by the R420 GPU (ATi). So their cards may respond differently to extended use under those heating conditions.
Quite true....I think I've only ever known only one person thats had a visiontek card......of course I might even be mistaken about that person even having it lol
Nubius is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 01:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,280
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by agex000
That may be the case with ATi built cards, however yours was built by VisionTek and is only powered by the R420 GPU (ATi). So their cards may respond differently to extended use under those heating conditions.
Believe it or not, it didn't run much cooler at stock clock speeds. It got up to 74*C when the cube was spinning in ATItool. Also, I was inspired to overclock this high after reading overclocking reviews of the Visiontek card. The Visiontek version was tested for 24-hours straight under overclocking conditions quite greater than even what I am doing. I could go that high, but I am afraid to because of the heat issue. ATI-built cards actually have more problems with extreme overclocking than the Visiontek version.
beedubaya is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 01:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Nubius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,600
Default

Either way its an impressive overclock and congrats for being ballsy enough to attempt to fry an expensive piece of hardware =)
Nubius is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 02:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
ag3
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by beedubaya
Believe it or not, it didn't run much cooler at stock clock speeds. It got up to 74*C when the cube was spinning in ATItool. Also, I was inspired to overclock this high after reading overclocking reviews of the Visiontek card. The Visiontek version was tested for 24-hours straight under overclocking conditions quite greater than even what I am doing. I could go that high, but I am afraid to because of the heat issue. ATI-built cards actually have more problems with extreme overclocking than the Visiontek version.
That most likely is the case (assuming the testing was done with the stock heatsink/fan) as not only do the different manufacturers build their own cards, but they use their own cooling methods as well.
ag3 is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 02:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
ag3
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,536
Default

P.S.: At the extreme frequency that your memory is set at - You are going to need some heatsinks for the VRAM. These are often included in VGA cooling packages.
ag3 is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 02:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Nubius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,600
Default

yeah hence why the new cards are just one big giant heatsink now lol
Nubius is offline  
Old 08-30-2004, 03:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
ag3
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
yeah hence why the new cards are just one big giant heatsink now lol
Yep!
__________________

ag3 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.