File and Webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jppoulin

Baseband Member
I have:
PII 350 with 256mb of ram upgradeable to 1 gig.
PIII 667 with 256mb of ram upgradeable to 512mb.

1. I need one computer to run a low traffic webserver with win xp pro, apache, mysql, and php.
2. The other a dedicated file server for videos and downloads.

I heard that for a file server ram is the most important so using the PII350 for the file server would be the best route as its upgradeable to 1 gig, and running the PIII 667 as the webserver as its needs the cpu power and 512 ram would be plenty.

The PII 350 is ATA 33 while the PIII 667 is ATA 66. However, I do have a PCI ATA adapter which goes up to ATA 133. I am still thinking the PII 350 with lots of ram is the best for the file server and the PIII 667 is best for the webserver.

Thanks for you comments/suggestions.

your logic sounds good, a fileserver does very little processing - although a webserver doesn't do much either if you are using php and mysql it is going to be doing some (and depending on your databases and php scripts it may be doing loads).

I would chuck in the adapter in the PII to make it ATA 133 that would improve it's performance.

That is true, but a LAN transfer might get a bottleneck with drives that slow. I loaded a 150mb file onto my server via the lan yesterday and it woul stutter every few seconds. Still, though, the Major is right.

EDIT: oh, you should consider using linux for the webserver (or both servers for that matter). The system is less of a hog and it's naturally free. $140 will go a long way towards new hardware.

I was thinking about running linux on them but 1 major problems have arised for me.

I don't know anything about linux or where to start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and please be detailed. Thanks.

I use a a Pll 400 with 128mb of ram for all of my needs.
It runs Debian 3.0 Sarge. I can give you help with linux and I'm sure others can too. You can find guides online.

jppoulin said:
I heard that for a file server ram is the most important so using the PII350 for the file server would be the best route as its upgradeable to 1 gig, and running the PIII 667 as the webserver as its needs the cpu power and 512 ram would be plenty.
You have the right idea, your PII is good for the file server and the PIII is best for the web server.

Running Linux on those machines would be benificial, as it is less complicated and less resource intensive.

However, it does take a fair understanding about how to use certain features of Linux over Windows that will take you a little time to learn. You will like the familiarity of Windows over Linux, which may make you more likely to use it.

I personally run both, but use Windows the majority of the time.

I use:

Windows XP
Windows Server 2003
Windows Media Center 2005

Linux:

CentOS
Mandrake
Redhat

I think Microsoft is starting to catch up in the server market with Windows server 2003. I see a lot more people using it these days. I still highly doubt that we will become a completely Windows based world, though Microsoft would like us to be. :)

When you say linux is less resource intensive what do you mean by that. Like less ram is used, less cpu cylcles?

I have my website folder shared so I can edit the files from my main computer. However my sister also sees it and I would rather she not.

Is there a way to share only certain files with certain computers on a network in windows or linux? Thanks for all the replies, you guys have been soo helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom