File copy speed - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to 20mm

yeah sp2 burnt one of our home computers and just ripped up my dad's one at work. that would make some sense because we updated from sp1 to sp2 so that could make some sense.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

My last post is somewhat unrelated. 133 is only the ATAPI standard...

This is the calculation that I'd assume would be right (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

7200rpm * (80sectors per track * 512 byte sectors) = ~288MBps

We need your help!
AdvancedGeeks.com requires knowledgable mods and users to help handle a variety of tasks. PM me for more info.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Regardless, you're limited to what your hard drive is doing while you're copying the file. Since you have very little memory, the pagefile is probably in constant use, meaning the hard drive is always working. The more working the hard drive does, the longer it takes to do other tasks.
We need your help!
AdvancedGeeks.com requires knowledgable mods and users to help handle a variety of tasks. PM me for more info.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Quote:
My last post is somewhat unrelated. 133 is only the ATAPI standard...

This is the calculation that I'd assume would be right (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

7200rpm * (80sectors per track * 512 byte sectors) = ~288MBps

I think that doesn't really make sense. Even if it were true, the IDE controller wouldn't be able to handle those speeds.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

The speed depends on the drives internal speeds, the heads etc. Most platters have 80 sectors AFAIK.

BTW, what's the difference between internal transfer rate and read/write speeds (MB/s)?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMajor
I think that doesn't really make sense. Even if it were true, the IDE controller wouldn't be able to handle those speeds.
The only way that wouldn't make sense is if you don't understand how a hard drive works. To my knowledge, that'd be the correct formula for figuring out how fast a hard drive can go.

Obviously IDE controllers wouldn't be able to handle it, the ATAPI standards are 133MBps max so it throttles it down to my understanding. SATA drives can do 150MBps at 7200rpm, SCSI can do 320MBps at 10000rpm, so it's not that far off. It's just limited by the controller.
We need your help!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
The speed depends on the drives internal speeds, the heads etc. Most platters have 80 sectors AFAIK.
Hard drives have 80 sectors per track, and several tracks per platter.
We need your help!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What speed do you have?
Old 03-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMajor

BTW, what's the difference between internal transfer rate and read/write speeds (MB/s)?
Internal is how fast you can move stuff between folder A and B on the same drive

Read \ write speeds are the speeds that it can achieve drive to drive.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

When I go to Device manager and look to my IDE controllers, I see that Primary IDE has transfer mode "PIO" but Secondary IDE has "Ultra DMA mode 2"
My Hard disk is connected to Primary IDE. Could it be the problem?
What if I connect Hard disk to Secondary IDE?

Closed Thread