Field Work - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman
Default Field Work

Hi guys, I currently am in my last year at college Doing Hardware Maintenance/Networking. I'd say I'm fairly knowledgeable and have some experience under my belt.

I currently perform services from reinstalling OS's/PC tuneups/Diagnostic for free. However, I'm going to be charging soon and want to go the right way about it.

Reinstalls of Windows I'm going to charge £20 provided they have a genuine copy. You can use the OEM sticker on machines Can't you?

Basically I just want to know what you guys think the best way of doing things are, Also what prices you think should be charged for specific services.

I need to get some tools etc obviously..

I've got external Hard drives for backing up, Got a reference machine for Virus scanning

Currently use freeware such as AVG free, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes etc.

I need to get a toolbox and some tools any suggestions? I Live in Manchester in the UK.

Sealey AP528 Toolbox 650mm with Lid, Parts Storage & Wheels AP528 £25.31

I thought that toolbox looked good, then I could buy some precision screwdrivers (Posi's flat headed) smaller ones for laptops, Compressed air, cable ties, Wire cutters, thermal Paste.

Anything else I've missed, This help would be greatly appreciated, I have the enthusiasm to do the Job, I read these forums daily and contribute, Read Hexus for the latest hardware and keep up to date as much as I can. I believe in Time i can become a great technician but I need the proper way of doing things and the tools behind me and of course the knowledge of you lot ;]

Thanks alot.

I'll be checking this thread every 20 minutes. Cheers guys.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Default Re: Field Work

So essentially you're doing tune-ups and installs?

- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 09-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Hero View Post
So essentially you're doing tune-ups and installs?
Basically, I want to be able to do what a local PC Shop/Repair Centre does, But by myself for now, I doubt I'd do any networking though.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

I did pretty much the same thing for a little while the best advice I can give you is put your service out there as far as you can. Like newspaper ads, social network ads, the works. The hardest part is getting someone to call.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Hero View Post
I did pretty much the same thing for a little while the best advice I can give you is put your service out there as far as you can. Like newspaper ads, social network ads, the works. The hardest part is getting someone to call.
Yeah I'm not depending upon this financially, It's mainly to gain more experience + a little pocket money whilst i finish my College Certification, I'll also be taking Comptia A+ this year .

Any reccomendations on things I should purchase? or have I mentioned them all?

The only thing I'm worried about is how to go around Windows licensing, Can I use the keys from the Windows License on the Machines? How would I go about Doing this?

+ Are PCI Diagnostic Cards worth it?

Sealey AP528 Toolbox 650mm with Lid, Parts Storage & Wheels AP528 £25.31

Would that be suitable to store all of my tools in?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

That is a very large toolbox. What do you plan on carrying with you?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
That is a very large toolbox. What do you plan on carrying with you?
It's for other tools also, Will be able to fit it all into one case, I've ordered everything I need now, Just need to know the correct way of doing things =] No one's answered me yet =P
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Go to a physical shop and find a similar size box, take a look inside to see whether it will be big enough, but really, that box looks enormous and should easily be able to hold all your stuff.

As for the Windows question, yeah I think so. The OEM restriction is that you can't transfer it between machines but I think you can reinstall it on the same machine a couple of times. You might have to call Microsoft on the phone to get it activated though.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 09-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
Go to a physical shop and find a similar size box, take a look inside to see whether it will be big enough, but really, that box looks enormous and should easily be able to hold all your stuff.

As for the Windows question, yeah I think so. The OEM restriction is that you can't transfer it between machines but I think you can reinstall it on the same machine a couple of times. You might have to call Microsoft on the phone to get it activated though.
Ok, that seems simple enough in regards to Windows. Any other tips for me in general for this sort of thing?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPROTechman View Post
Yeah I'm not depending upon this financially, It's mainly to gain more experience + a little pocket money whilst i finish my College Certification, I'll also be taking Comptia A+ this year .

Any reccomendations on things I should purchase? or have I mentioned them all?

The only thing I'm worried about is how to go around Windows licensing, Can I use the keys from the Windows License on the Machines? How would I go about Doing this?

+ Are PCI Diagnostic Cards worth it?
I figured it was only a little side job but the same thing applies even if you hand out fliers to nearby flats it'd put you out there enough to get you work.
But as far as tools go what you listed is a good start.

Closed Thread