A few problems/ mostly hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

project-09

Solid State Member
I have a 17 inch flat, from Hyundai L70s. My graphic card is a Radeon 7200 or so, I forget.

As of 3 or 4 days ago, I would be viewing a site or doing work, and my monitor would just go blank, pitch black like it was turned off. However, the power light was still on. I found that if I turned the monitor off and back on it would work again. But this problem kept happening throughout the day. Than everything was fine for a few days, and now my monitor is totally broken. The light that indicates the ON/OFF status of the monitor turns on, than goes off and on and off...and it won't stop, and the screen itself is pitch black, empty.

I researched the L70s series to look for complaints and problems, but it seems like everyone's been pretty satisfied with it. The only thing I can think of, is that I know my graphic card is starting to ware down and not work as well as it use to. My computer freezes when I watch any type of video or view highend flash sites, however that could just be a virus I dunno, I've checked. Anyway, if anyone has the slightest idea of what to do please help me out.

PS - I noticed that around 6-7 months after each reformat I do, my computer starts to have the same problems again: Crashes while viewing video. listening to MP3s, computer gets really slowed down, hard time booting up (multiple restarts before it works). Whats going on? I usually go through and delete files stored in the temp. internet folder, I get rid of unused data, my hdrive always has 10-14GBs of empty space as well.

As always thanks for the help, advice, time and effort on your part.

disable APM (advanced power management). also, if you disconnect it from the computer and turn it on do you get the 'check signal'? If not, its probably a faulty monitor. try another monitor and see what happens.

forget the apm, dont know what I was thinking, you got no signal ;) Anyhow, try another monitor and also see if you get the check signal like I mentioned. If you get that, reseat your vid card.

Hmmmmm...sounds to me like you need a new video card. Something fro the ATI 9000 series or, I think, the nVidia 5000 series should do. If it still doesn't work, then maybe your monitor has some sort of, I dunno, a defect to it. Maybe, maybe not. Only one way to find out though, right?

Thanks for the quick responses. I tried to plug my monitor to my girlfriend's computer but it's giving me the same problem. So I guess its the monitor. I just went downstairs to check, yeah I'm not even getting a "no signal" reading from the monitor.

So my main question now is: Its highly NOT possible that my computer was responsible for the monitor malfunction right? Because I don't want to be responsible for blowing my gf's monitor as well.

How do I go about reseting my video card? and I've heard of this APM thing, but I can't seem to find it in any of the settings, I must be over looking it big time. Hmm...what else should I ask. Oh yeah, the graphic card...I am planning on getting a new computer thats why I'm still using out dated technology.

I want to get a new comp. but it seems like the Intel is heading towards the end of the P4 line. I just don't want to be the sucker that gets a brand new P4 only to find out the next month that the P5s are out. I mean, I totally wouldn't care if I got a P4 and 2 years later they were still making new P4s, but to get the last P4 right as the 5s come out would suck. But anyways thats a whole nother bag of worms, I doubt anyone cares to hear about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom