Fastest 7,200 RPM drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I've been planning on getting a Raptor when I build my system, but my financial situation doesn't like that idea. So, I pose this question, what is the fastest 7,200rpm drive under $100? I'm thinking of putting two of these in raid-0 and having both speed and storage taken care of. If I just got a 74 gb raptor I'd probably soon be screwed for storage. I hear the DiamondMax 10 is right on the heels of the raptor, but thats the 300GB version which costs a lot, and I don't think the 160GB version achieves the same performance.

I think you should be more concerned with "reliability" than speed man. ESPECIALLY in a Raid 0 setup - where the "mean time before failure" of the Raid 0 system effectively gets cut in half. [I can give you more details on this calculation, if you are interested].

I think it this respect Seagate is the leading candicate. Even though it might not be the "fastest". All of them should be close enough tho :-\.. So I'd recommend getting a couple of Seagates.

Maxtor makes the fastest 7200rpm harddrives, but they are not reliable. The best harddrives come from western digital (reliable) and seagate (the quietest, extremly reliable too, I have one)

Many people here claim that having 2 harddrives in RAID 0 would be just as fast as a raptor, so go with 2 Seagate or Western Digital's with the appropiate amount of space you can see your self using.

Maxtor are the fastest, but light on fire and crap like that, and are also very expensive

WD or seagate is your best bet, WD has usually been a bit faster and seagate a bit more reliable.

If you cant afford a 10,000 RPM drive, but your looking for the fastest?

Look for at least 8mb of cache, and a low seek time.

Yes I realize how raid-o effects MTBF. Western Digital claims that Raptors are reliable enough for intense server duty, so I don't think that should really be an issue with them.

I guess I won't go with a maxtor since everyone says they light on fire :). I've only had experience with WDs and some Quantum Fireball 30GB on my old desktop. I really don't feel like having a drive fail on me, so I'll make sure to go with WD or Seagate, probably WD.

As far as seek time goes... aren't even the fastest 7200rpm (any I can remember) drives all at 9ms? 8mb is a given. 16 would be nice :).

Western Digital is the best hard drive company around in my opinion, Seagate is good, but I just like WD better since I have never had an issue with them and they are the only drive company I have ever used.

Many people here claim that having 2 harddrives in RAID 0 would be just as fast as a raptor, so go with 2 Seagate or Western Digital's with the appropiate amount of space you can see your self using.
This is only true in unreal enviroments such as SiSandra benchmarking, in real world applications its been shown that the performance benefit gained from RAID 0 is no where near to double. I have a RAID 0 array, and it is fast, but that may just be because I'm using low capacity 10K RPM drives with it.

As of now I'm going with two of these in raid-0:

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

That'll be plenty of space for quite a while, hopefully it's fast enough :p.

i can testify that 2 seagate in raid0 is actually alot fast thatn 1 raptor and its actually only a little behind 2 raptors in raid0. i would def look at either 2 80gig or 2 120gig seagates and ur best bet. when i get abit of cash together i want another 2 to have all four of them in raid0 :D

grego said:
Yes I realize how raid-o effects MTBF. Western Digital claims that Raptors are reliable enough for intense server duty, so I don't think that should really be an issue with them.

I guess I won't go with a maxtor since everyone says they light on fire :). I've only had experience with WDs and some Quantum Fireball 30GB on my old desktop. I really don't feel like having a drive fail on me, so I'll make sure to go with WD or Seagate, probably WD.

As far as seek time goes... aren't even the fastest 7200rpm (any I can remember) drives all at 9ms? 8mb is a given. 16 would be nice :).

Not all drives have 8mb cache. Alot still have 2mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom