Fast speed RAM on slow speed motherboard, Will it work???? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to nismoskys
Default Fast speed RAM on slow speed motherboard, Will it work????

hey, im shopping for RAM and was wondering if i could use high speed RAM on my not-so-high-speed computer. By this i mean that, my computer can support PC2700 RAM, so, would i be able to buy like a PC3700 RAM and use it on my computer (knowing the fact that its performance will be downgraded because my motherboard isnt made for PC3700). The reason/s for this is because, at Frys(www.outpost.com), ive found that some higher speed RAMs are cheaper than PC2700s, allso, im planning on buying a new motherboard in the future(with of course higher performance), and want my RAM to be living to its full potential when i get it, without having to buy new RAM again. Thanks alot

-jaanisar

Old 04-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Yep it will work You can most likely "overclock" your motherboard to accept it

Old 04-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

how would i overclock my motherboard??(sorry, not quite the computer genius yet, but im getting there..lol )
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

you can up the front side bus (FSB) to about 200mhz, but I do suggest using a calculator to find out what your processor is running right now,

should be something like 133FSB and something like 20x

2.66ghz processor

if you want to up the fsb on your cpu, you will want to first lower your multiplier, and on a calculator, test what 200mhz fsb multiplied by say... 12.5x to see if it will be about the same as 133x20...

just examples, and rudimentary examples at that, if you really do want help with overclocking your cpu/ram make a reply here and ill help you as best as i can.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

you don't have to up the speed of anything for it to accept the ram, it would just run slower, but buying the faster ram now is the smart solution, seems like you are planning ahead
Old 04-09-2005, 02:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowFalls
you don't have to up the speed of anything for it to accept the ram, it would just run slower, but buying the faster ram now is the smart solution, seems like you are planning ahead
tigght, thanks man, thats exactly the answer i was lookin for!, nd thnx to the rest of you for ur quick replies
Old 04-09-2005, 05:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

oh, i thought u wanted the best speed out of your system, not if it worked, my bad

*seconds ShadowFalls diagnosis*

Closed Thread