FarCry 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
As I am sure all of you are aware... FarCry 64-bit is supposed to be released soon as an upgrade.

My question is... Will it have to be run with a 64-bit O/S to achieve the 64-bit? Or can it run on a 32-bit platform and still use the 64-bit processing through the CPU?

If someone can clear this up for me... I'd appreciate it a lot. Thx again guys for responding to all of my posts!

i don't think it can. i believe that you have to have the 64 bit os for anything to work in 64 bit. correct me some one if i'm wrong. if i was right then what was the reason for realeasing the athlon 64? was it to get a head start on it and look for bugs?

Now that I think about it... You may be right.

FarCry does not have the capability to communicate with the CPU with out going through Windows. Therefore if Windows was unable to process the information at 64-bit, then there is no way the game would.

Unless I am wrong? :umm:

actually he may be wrong...maybe...FarCry runs by itself...if it has the ability to process 64 bit objects, and so does the cpu, then it should be able to be in 64 bit...i think...

FarCry may run through its own engine (CryEngine), but the architecture of that engine is still based on the Windows platform. So I am starting to doubt that it is possible to bypass Windows and communicate with the CPU on its own terms.

Hmmm... I wish there was a way to find out about this (CryTek fails to provide details).

Just because it's based on that platform, does that neccisarily mean that it can't bypass it? I mean isn't there a way, where something can be based off of a platform, but not have to use it whatsoever?

Well true it will run off of windows, but it will also be tapping into the processor (duh) and the processos has 64-bit technology, so you might be able to see some 64-bit...i hope.

the majority of games will run with DirectX or OpenGL, and since they are both attached to the OS, you do need an OS that runs 64-bit so that DirectX and OpenGL will run 64-bit too

that's what i thought, because the programs that run the game are in the os wich is only prossecing 32 bit.

I think they mean it'll be optimised for 64 bit procs, not run on the actual 64 bit platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom