A Failing Memory module indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggysmile

In Runtime
When I removed one of my memory modules, I noticed that it had seemingly melted teeth (sorry, I don't know what they're exactly called and I on a PC emergency). You know the part where you have to insert into the DIMM socket.

Was that an indicator of a failing RAM? Why did it happen? Was it due to heat or poor memory module quality?

Thanks.

Could be both. Is the RAM actually melted or it just looks different? Also check the slot itself and see if it is damaged in any way. I would think that if it was heat and it actually melted that the slot would also be damaged by the heat.

If the slot is not damaged at all and the stick of RAM IS ACTUALLY MELTED. I would think it may be the module it self. Also see if your other stick is OK. If it is I would guess it is the RAM stick itself.

I may also do some diagnostics using a program like Si Soft Sandra or equivelant.

Could be both. Is the RAM actually melted or it just looks different? Also check the slot itself and see if it is damaged in any way. I would think that if it was heat and it actually melted that the slot would also be damaged by the heat.

If the slot is not damaged at all and the stick of RAM IS ACTUALLY MELTED. I would think it may be the module it self. Also see if your other stick is OK. If it is I would guess it is the RAM stick itself.

I may also do some diagnostics using a program like Si Soft Sandra or equivelant.
The other RAM module had seemingly melted "teeth" that my new RAM module didn't have.

Ok, I tried using Memtest86, Seatools Diagnostics, and Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Seatools Diagnostics say that memory test failed.
Both memtest's and Windows Memory Diagnostic's tests also failed.

You see, I noticed that melted part a month ago and my computer just malfunctioned last night after restarting. Before last night it was working perfectly fine.

Well, when I said malfunctioning, Explorer.exe crashes with errors with kernel modules addresses, etc.

I am just wondering if this malfunctioning has something to do with the memory module with a melted part on it.

What the heck were you doing to melt your RAM?
I don't know. Does playing The Sims2 had something to do with it? Or maybe compiling Linux programs for about a week 9 hours a day with pauses.

I'm also wondering if this is the problem I'm experiencing right now has something to do with a broken hard disk, melted processor, or really my RAM.

If all your memtests faled I would try to run with only one stick for a but and see what happens but first run your diags on the motherboard itself using the programs you mentioned above and see it the slots themself are functioning proper and if you have other mobo failures. If that is the case then your mobo is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom