Extremely hard problem please help. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2004, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Extremely hard problem please help.

Full topic here: http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/030163.html

Currently I have no other solution other than removing the hdd and putting it into my old computer to try to fix it. anyone have other suggestions?

Old 05-25-2004, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

somehow i don't think it's because you're using USB mouse, but maybe it is. i would suggest backup your data to another partition or storage device using knoppix or by slaving it to another machine and reinstall the winXP. or you can do an OS overlay by installing winXP right over the old one WITHOUT formatting or deleting any partitions. you will not lose any data but all your installed programs will need to be reinstalled.

i do think you are over dramatiziing the situation and using bold font is not needed. if you need it fixed immediately goto a repair shop and pay a professional to fix it.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

err .. did you check and see if your usb controller is still installed?
Before posting ask your question here:
<form method=\"get\" action=\"http://www.google.com/search\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"q\" size=\"5\" maxlength=\"255\" style=\"width:200px;\" /><input type=\"submit\" name=\"ask\" value=\"Ask\" style=\"width:40px\" />
Old 05-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Slaving it on another machine is exactly what I was thinking about doing, but I hope that some else knows how to fix it using another way, not having to reinstall everything afterwards.

In the BIOS the usb controllers are on, but I dont know how to check it in windows, since I cannot navigate...
Old 05-26-2004, 05:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Now I'm thinking of slaving this hdd on my old rig and installing partition magic, so I could make a new partition where I could move all my data and then format the windows partition (thanks to Laser for giving me the idea).
Old 05-26-2004, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to raj_1024

u can even boot ur system using usb drive by enabling the option in ur bios setup
hi everybody
Old 05-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Is it just your USB keyboard and mouse?? or are other things not working either? I would buy a standard keyboard and mouse and try them on the system. If the system boots up fine then find updated drivers from the manufacturers website. Sounds like you are either having resource errors or the USB hub/bridge has been messed up and need to reinstall chipset drivers. Not too tough, just some time consuming troubleshooting to fix the problem.
Crucial Performance Lab
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to cpl@micron.com
Old 05-26-2004, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

please read my topic on the other forum, CrucialLabs.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Not sure if this is related or not but I just finished working on a PC with the same problem. It ended up being a Virus..Leviathan I believe it was called and it infected the Windrv.exe file that was responsible for loading drivers for keyboard and mouse on startup. I couldn't repair the file so I deleted it and replaced it and everything was fine after that. Probably not what's going on in your case but ya never know I guess.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to jaun1477

i just wonder if by any chance
have you try to install a PS/2 mouse? or other keyboard?
then if you have the disc for your mouse and keyboard
(Logitech Cordless Freedom connected at PS/2)
uninstall the usb mouse and keyboard and reinstall after reboot

amd athlon xp 2400+
1 apacer 256mb unb pc2700 cl2.5
motherboard msi kt4av via kt400a chipset based
1 ??? 512 mb pc2700
1 agp 8x/4x (geforce 4 predator mx4408x)
2 year old 21 magnavox monitor
1 aquos sharp 15\"tv
Seagate 40gb hd
DC Output: 420Watts Total: +5V/0~42A, +12V/0~18A
+3.3V/0~26A, -5V/0~0.8A, -12V/0~1.0A, +5VSB/0~2.5A.
Closed Thread