External Storage Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assassin

Baseband Member
@@External Storage Questions@@

I am looking to build an external storage drive but am not quite sure if I have all the correct/needed parts [I am a computer newbie:)]. Most important, I need to know if in fact the FDD Cable is needed. I have attached a link [at the bottom of this page] to the Storage Case for added info-- ....

FYI - the external storage drive will be used to back up my files as well as store my mp3 collection. My pc is not cmpatable for SATA drives..

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated!!!!!

*****HARD DRIVE
Hitachi 180GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model IC35L180AVV207, OEM
Specifications:
Capacity: 180GB
Average Seek Time: 8.5 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100
Features: Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) motor technology
Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
Remark: OEM Drive Only

*****EXTERNAL CASE
COOLMAX 3.5"/5.25" USB 2.0 External Enclosure, Model "CD-510B-U2" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Application: 3.5" / 5.25” CD-ROM / DVD / CD-RW / Hard Drive
Material: All aluminum Frame & Metal Tray
IDE Interface: IDE
Interface: USB 2.0
Power: PS2
Features: Up to 1TB
**W/ Cooling fan

*****USB CABLE
BELKIN Gold Series USB2.0 Device Cable (A/B) Black Color, 6 feet -RETAIL
Specifications:
Featuring 24K gold plated connectors, which maximize conductivity and provide up to 480Mbps error-free, high performance transmission.
Hi-speed data transfer to 480Mbps
20-gauge high performance power wires ensure maximum
USB performance.
Belkin lifetime warranty.
Works with USB 2.0

*****FDD CABLE
Antec Cobra F16 Round FDD Cable

the case I would like to get is the 3rd one down
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=92&manufactory=1796&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1:D :D

I don't see why u would need a FDD cable ..

All u would need is an USB cable ..since the interface is a USB2.0

Preet2u,

Thanks for your feedback!! I thought I would not need the FDD cable...But being a pc newbie I wasn't 100%.

Thanks again for your time and feedback, much appreciated!!!:D :D

I think that Preet2u is right. These aren't that hard to set up, just make sure that you're jumper setting on the hard drive are correct. That was my problem when I bought an external CD burner. Paid for it to be a USB model, and the company (don't even remember who) just sent me the burner, no USB case. They ended up sending me the USB case, and I had to put it together. Jumpers need to be set to master (check the owner's manual, that will tell you what you need to know).

Hilowe,

Thanks for the tip...I did a internet search for "jumpers" and came across a Western Digital page that describes in detail all about Jumpers. I had checked my manual and didn't see anything. But it looks like the WD page gives me all the details I need to know. Thanks for YOUR time and response to my post!!

Cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom