External HD Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
I recently got a new Western Digital 160 GB external hard drive. I've got it connected through USB 2.0
What kind of speed can I expect from my drive? I want to be able to install games on it and play them at a good speed if possible. I can't get a new internal drive, my case only fits one!
Also, can I connect this drive through firewire to my pc to increase speed? I'm not sure if I can (the manual doesn't seem to specify), but it'd be a big speed boost if I could.

well
usb2 transfers data at 480 Mbps
this shuould be enough for alot of games, i woudnt garentee games like doom3 though

You can connect it through IEEE if your drive supports it, read the manual on that one. If it does I recommend IEEE

As for speed, it will be limited to the speed of the usb port, but I dont htink you will notice any slowdown.

Firewire is faster than USB2 as far as I know. Connecting it using this might result in performance increase.

I've heard that too. I've got a gig, but it's slow since it's only sdram. I'm gonna compare benchmarks tonight.

Doom3 takes slightly longer to load on my external (like a couple of seconds), but the benchmark speeds are identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom