External Harddrive into Interal Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPdawg218

Solid State Member
I currently have a laptop that is a few years old, anyhow I am building my own computer with a friend of mine. I have a external 120 gig Western Digital External Harddrive hooked up to my laptop now. (The external harddrive is brand new) I need a harddrive for the new computer I am building and was wondering would it work if i opened up the external harddrive casing and removed it from there and installed it in my computer i am building. Whats your thoughts on the change in power supply and could it work and what?

Pat

if you are building a laptop... no. it is built completely differently.
with a desktop computer you would not be able to either because the connection inside its casing is different. its better to keep your external the way it is and get an internal. you could then use your external as a backup.

I am building a desktop, and was planning on using the external harddrive as my internal harddrive if i could take off the external casing and install it into the computer I am building(a desktop). I have heard from a few people that the external harddrive is basically a Internal harddrive but in a casing and with a different adapt to plug into the wall socket and a usb connection. Not that I don't believe you but can anyone else post their thoughts on this topic.

an external case holds a normal hard drive and has adapters that it plugs into the external case to power it and transfer data. take it apart and there is the normal drive. I did it with the 120g i have

SHAWN, if I open up the case, is it hard to detach the power source(the wall jack converter) and the USB wires. To make it a basic harddrive with a typical installation into my new desktop?

Shouldn't be. Depends the external case that its in. Mine was in a cheap plastic case that snapped off, then i just unplugged everything from the back of the hard drive and removed it from the case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom