Which (External) Hard Drive should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triangle

Solid State Member
I would like to get a 1TB (or maybe 2TB?) external hard drive to store many movies, but given that I know very little about different HD manufacturers, I was wondering whether you could help me find what I am looking for: essentially, I'd like a HD that is relatively fast at transferring data, and quite cheap (student=very little cash available) but I don't mind how bulky it is. Thanks in advance,
Triangle.

No USB HDD will be at fast speeds. I has its limits. What might be better is E-SATA. Western Digital and Seagate are my top two.

eSATA is another port, like USB. It's an external version of the SATA standard used by drives internally. It's much faster than USB 2.0

Yeah, sorry about that. Had to write that up quick before I had to leave. :(

For the E-SATA side, I would trust iomega or Lacie, IMO

Do all computers have an E-SATA port? I have a pretty average laptop that I got a while ago (planning on changing soon, but kinda reliant on parents' money-as I said, student) so will that affect it in any way? Also, how much do they usually go for? Thanks for all the help so far! :)

Hurray for living in England. ******mit. Well, now I have to change the question again: which USB HD would you recommend? Sorry for this... I thought I'd provided enough info; clearly I was wrong. Thanks very much for helping me up till now!

Thanks very much for all your help, I'll definitely be getting the 2TB drive either as soon as I have the money or as soon as I find a legit excuse to give my parents as for why I'd actually NEED one of these things :p Thanks again, Triangle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom