External Hard drive sharing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessianicDreams

Beta member
i hope that i haven't posted this in the wrong forum :) my question is this: i need to share a hard drive between a Mac in a music studio and my XP.

firstly, is there a USB-->FireWire converter ? i know there's one for going the other way...

also i thought of partitioning the external drive (its a Western Digital 160gig USB2) and having one that is formatted so that it can run on a Mac and then (if they exist) use a program on XP to run the new format. does such a program exist?

if not is there anything else i could do?

thanks for the help :)

I am not a mac guy, but I believe that macs can read NTFS file systems which is the file system used by windows XP. So you should be able to write and read data form that drive on your mac.

For the adaptor I have not seen one may be someone has more info about that. USB 2.0 should be fine if thatÂ’s all the external case has on it. I donÂ’t think the adapter would speed the transfer rate up at all.

Please correct me if I am misinformed.

Kyoji

thanks for your reply kyoji. i wasn't aware that Macs could reat NTFS. regarding the converter, i was thinking that Macs don't have USBs?

Mac's could read NTSF, but they could not possibly write to it.

Format the drive in fat32 and your good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom