External Hard drive not showing all the drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default External Hard drive not showing all the drives

I have a 1TB external hard disk from Transcend.

I had 4 drives in it with one has BITLOCKER enabled. I was trying to make a drive bootable. But something went wrong and the system hanged up.

Now only 1 drive of the 4 is being shown in the computer.

The disk management shows only one drive with the whole 931gb while the computer is showing the same with the memory i allocated(201gb) to it with all the data.

Drive Letters are getting assigned to other 3 drives, and while trying to access them using DOS, it says "THE DEVICE IS NOT READY".

chkdsk cant find any error, tried some other tools to but no progress.

Please suggest what can fix the problem. Formatting the whole drive and then retrieving data can do, but the most important data are encrypted. Please Help

Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: External Hard drive not showing all the drives

For the first part, have you thought about using a linux live cd or dvd to access your hdd's contents and pull out what you need and put them somewhere safe ?
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

Ubuntu is one way of doing it, I prefer suse v11 or higher to get anything done majorly with hdd disk problems.
Next, you might want to take your external hdd and partition them into 3 parts that you need for whatever your doing.
If not, just give it a 1 hour long format using NTFS, check the drive for errors and finish up with it.
Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.
Closed Thread