external h.d. setup problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default external h.d. setup problems

I just recently purchased an adaptec 2.0 usb external hard drive enclosure to house a 60 gig western digital hard drive. I have been trying to get my computer ( compaq presario R3000, running windows xp) to recognize it, but nothing happens. when i first connected it, a message came up saying that there was an error or complication or something in installing it or something with the recognition of the device maybe? If you could provide any help to get this thing up and running i would be greatly appreciative.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Did it come with a cd that had the drivers ?

Old 03-29-2005, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yes it does, but it says to only use the drivers if running windows 98SE. I think i accidently installed it, but i went in and uninstalled it right after i read the part about where it's for 98SE... just currious, would the setting of the master/slave little prong thingys have any effect to this? i've got it set on slave as far as i know.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

For the sake of anybody searching to fix a problem like this, i will outline what i did to fix my particular one.
1. returned stupid adaptec case to best buy; reasons:
-no manual/instructions
-product was not listed ANYWHERE on adaptecs website i.e. obsolete or search function
2. went to circuit city and bought ADStech usb 2.0 hard drive kit
-only 10$ more and comes with:
+full instructions plus trouble shooting 'tips'
3. read through instructions and found that i had my drive set to slave, set it to master (what it should have been). this was given in the manual!!!
-to set to master/slave/etc just refer to the casing on your h.d. usually, and it will give the allgnment of the bridge that fits over the pins.
4. connected h.d. and hooked it up to my computer.
5. started computer, h.d. recognized in the device manager(right click my computer, manage, there you go), but does not show up as a drive in 'my computer' or
6. futzed around until i realized that i had to repartition my drive and format it again.
-i had taken it from a previously used computer and needed to reformat it to my comp's specs basically.
7. go to disk management in the computer management (see above) and right click on the drive you want to format.
-choose delete partition ( you should probably not have anything on the drive you want to save...)
- delete partition...
-right click drive
select new partition
-create it to your specs
- yay!
Closed Thread