External firewire HD with on/off switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStarr003

Baseband Member
I am looking to purchase an external firewire drive as a primary storage space for videos and video editing. I have to go with an external due to severe space limitations with my case, and my moboard has no support for E-SATA.

What I need is a firewire 400, but i'm looking for specific features and it seems to be rather difficult to find one that covers all of them. One particular feature I'm finding real hard to find is an external firewire with an on/off switch.

Honestly, I'm not too crazy about using an external that does not have the on/off because I don't want this thing spinning up and running every time I boot up. I want to be able to just switch the drive on only when I need it. I heard that removing the USB cord on some drives has caused the wiring to short on some, so I really don't want to do this.

Is there another solution available to this such as buying a regular hard drive and enclosing it in a case that would have the on/off and connecting it with a firewire cable or is the solution as simple as just buying the external and leaving the electrical plug out, so the drive gets no power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom