ext. hard drive enclosure - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan
Default ext. hard drive enclosure

Hi, I don't know if any of you guys have encountered problems with older comptuers and newer hard drives(PATA).
I know when I took the 80 gig HDD out of my 4 year old pc and put it in a 6 year old PC the mobo could not detect the hard drive, even after i checked jumpers and all, I'm guessing because the speed was too slow or because BIOS isnt new enough, Would this matter while using an external HDD enclosure? Or will it read any IDE drive?

Old 07-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Maker of the 80 gig? 5400 rpm drive or 7200(not that that makes any difference)? If is an IDE hd doens't make any sense why it cannot be read. Set it as a slave, position 2 on your IDE O cable and see if it recognizes it then. It's a IDE and the ext is USB or SCSI? If the 6 year old puter has usb (which it must) then, yes, it should recognize the drive usb or SCSI. You might want to spec the older mobo so we can do a better eval. by the way, PATA is the older conventin for all IDE drives except for MAC which are all SCSI. Newer drives are Serial= SATA.

Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan

no, I'm saying when the drive is placed internally in this older computer it will not be read because the computer is too old, I'm wondering if i will get the same problem if I use the drive with an external hard drive enclosure thru USB on this computer or any other computer
AMD Athlon 4000+ @ 2.4 GHz
4096 MB RAM
Dual Mirrored 500 GB HDDs
Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 SP2
Closed Thread