Experts Needed....laptop Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haddorh

Solid State Member
hello....I just got a Kapok/Clevo 3100c series laptop.....Specs are: celeron 466mhz processor, Intel 440bx chip motherboard, 10gb 4200 rpm hard drive, 128mb ram, dvd drive Torisan drd 424(Sanyo).

well anyway....when i bought it....it had a screen display problem.....it had windows xp home installed and the dvd drive worked (i connected it to an external monitor to test). well later on i formated the hard drive thinking that it could be driver problems that could be making the display not work. so i formated the hard drive and then the dvd drive wouldnt work anymore to load xp back on. i downloaded the driver for the dvd rom and tried to install it....but it said "no drives found/connected". (but the floppy drive still works). i checked in the bios and it can only see the floppy drive and hard drive. i checked the connection on dvd drive many times....but it just isnt seeing the drive. (i found out later that the screen wasnt working because of a connection... and got it working)

anyone know what could be the problem?....i dont think its the drive thats bad...because it worked until i formated the hard drive. the bios auto detects the floppy...hard drive...and does not find dvd rom.

any help would be very appreciated.

haddorh

Thx for the quick reply......I have checked the connection ide cable many times....when i go to install the driver.....it does not find a dvd cd rom drive connected at all. But i am soooo stumped on this one. The laptop worked fine running windows xp on it.....and the dvd drive worked fine until......i formatted the hard drive to try and fix screen issue.......i found out that the screen didnt work because the cable was loose.... Also the dvd rom drive spins when i put a cd in.....so i know its getting power. so i just dont know what to do......i guess ill have a paper weight or a door stop.......unless someone knows whats going on.....but thx for the help!!!

Also....the bios does not let me set it to auto detect dvd rom.....it automatically detects drive....supposedly....?

i wouldnt be able to tell you what to do without seeing it myself. However, if you can not fix it you can always mail it to me and ill take it.:D

I used a boot disk.........and when i put "Start computer with cd rom support......it starts to load the universal driver......but then it says "no drives found, aborting installation". I have heard of something that u do to fix this but im stumped......I heard something about editing/copying config.sys and Autoexec.bat....or something.....does anyone know what i should do?....... i have a clean formatted hard drive.....what files would i need to copy to the hard drive to get my dvd to work?

(any help would be nice) thx again....

Seen something like it - the drive is not detected by the BIOS, but later when there is win installed, a simple driver might force the operating system to find the new device (although the BIOS can't).

I still don't have an explanation for that. What you could try - either download win through ftp to the laptop from your other pc and later on install dvd drivers, or try to find a BIOS update for the laptop.

This should work, hope it helps :)

The only explaination i could think of is that the hd is on a controller where the main bios has no access. Very odd though......

You could always hook up the HD to a pc and install XP on it.....
Make sure you unplug your other drives first, the installatin may tamper with data on your other drives if you leave them hooked in....especially the drive with you OS.

You may need a 40-44 pin ata connector for the harddrive so you can connect it to the pc which you can pick up at fry's electronics or some other electronics store.

They should have them at radio shack, but radioshack has been going down hill and they do not have a lot of components. Therefore, they will not have such a connector. A lot of their things are really crappy now since many of their things are made in mexico.

Also, don't forget to put those drivers onto your HD before you move it back to your laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom