exFAT/NTFS reformatting question

jam0473

Beta member
Hello all,

So I have 3 identical 750 GB Western Digital hard drives. All were formated NTFS.

I formatted one of them on Windows 7 to exFAT because I need to use that specific drive as an intermediary drive to transfer files from the PC side of things to another external hard drive formatted for Mac OSX. So I was going to transfer the data that was on one of these NTFS Western Digital drives to the now exFAT Western Digital drive and then to my G drive which is formatted for OSX.

Here is my problem. When I formatted one of the drives to exFAT, Windows 7 no longer reads the other external western digital hard drives. I go to My Computer and click manage and in the disk management screen it states that drive as being 'RAW'

However, when I bring it to the MAC side of things, all the files that were originally there are (though b/c it is formatted for NTFS I of course can only read them)

The third western digital drive is a backup, but I am afraid to even connect it to my computer. Why won't Windows 7 read my Western Digital NTFS drive any more?

Also just a spec note I am doing all of this on a macbook pro. It is bootcamped running both windows 7 and mac osx. I have to do this because of the requirements of my job.

In any event thank you so much for any help you can provide.

-J

Seagate external HDDs do not require special formatting to be used with Mac - they can work both with PC & Mac, due to seagate's driver.
Just a suggestion for future purchases, not for your current problem.

Back
Top Bottom