Exceed the Max. amount of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoodleKnight

Baseband Member
Hello,

Is it possible to exceed the pre-defined max amount of RAM installed in a computer. I have an old Sony VAIO which can only support up to 512 RAM max, currently it has 2 sticks of 64, so 128/512 so far. If I was to add in two sticks of 256, which puts it at 640/512. Would that cause problems with the computer, or will it only just detect and use up to 512 megs?

Thanks for any help in advance

uhh... 256x2 is 512...

edit: sry, didnt realise what u meant. do u even have 4 slots? i dout a old viao has 4 slots. if so, i dont think u can

I have four slots, two are filled, two have the continuity sticks, which can be removed for upgrading.

continuity sticks? ...correct me if im rong, but does that mean your using RDram /rambus?

i doubt that u are, but if so.. RD ram has to be added in equal pairs.

i dont know, but i would guess that exceeding the Max amount would prolly just cause your system to run slower, and it wouldnt detect it all.

I am using rambus, its old =P

And I will upgrade in pairs, which is why I want to find out if i can pass that limit to get the max 512 ram support.

maybe u should check your motherbourds instruction book.. or there web site, if u dont have a book.

i dont know anything about rambus, but chances are, if your bourd is that old, and cause its rambus... u might need to use 4x of 128mb dimms, to reach the 512 limit (maybe- remember im just guessing) u might definately wont to find out though b4 u upgrade.

o yea, and since its rambus, u would prolly have more problems if u exceeded the ram limit, then if it was just RD or DDR (im guessing)

I have 2x256 sticks of Rambus in my home system PC 1066.
I like the Rambus memory its very fast but expensive.Check and at www.sony.com. for the limits on the memory.Dont exceed that limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom