evga nvidia 6800 128mb 12 pipes(goin on 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-=B$=-

In Runtime
ight guys i just ordered the plain ol 6800 not the gt or not the ultra at newegg for 283 bucks...nice price considering it blows away the 5950 ultra and 9800xt......anyways the card has 12 pipelines but someone told me that it has 16 pipelines but 4 are deactive.....and there is a mod coming out for the card that you can download and it reactives the other 4 pipelines so it has 16 pipes...is this true??? please someone find out for me!!!!
-=B$=-

The only reason I could see that happening is because the 6800, GT, and Ultra all have the same architecture (GPU). They just disabled 4 pipelines (if that is true) for the plain 6800 and clocked it down, so that they could provide a cheaper cooling device. I don't know though... I'm just guessing! ;)

However, I am going to look into that right now - If I find anything at all... I'll let u know.

agex000 said:
The only reason I could see that happening is because the 6800, GT, and Ultra all have the same architecture (GPU). They just disabled 4 pipelines (if that is true) for the plain 6800 and clocked it down, so that they could provide a cheaper cooling device. I don't know though... I'm just guessing! ;)

However, I am going to look into that right now - If I find anything at all... I'll let u know.

ok thanks man!!!!! hey do you have msn or yahoo messenger?? if you do add me to your buddy list.... my msn - bs_racing_23@hotmail.com

my yahoo- bs_racing_23

awww man post any info in this forum too I'm interested in that since I plan on getting the EXACT card he was talking about. from the same maker too eVga. Hear they have pretty good cards and $283 isn't a bad price. I definitely want to know about this hidden 4 pipes =)

Activating the 4 pipelines and not overclocking may slow the card down. The only way to activate the 4 pipelines would be to flash the VGA BIOS with a GT or Ultra BIOS - you will probably have to invest in some custom cooling.

Even if you could activate them they still wouldn't be in use unless you are using GT/Ultra Drivers.

The only way you would have a chance to overclock a plain jane 6800 to an ultra is if the heatsink is the same size as the ultra. some 6800's have the smaller heatsinks some had larger. you will need the larger one if you want to overclock the core frequency and memory clock to the equivalent of a 6800 Ultra.

bah I wouldn't even want to try and overclock that shit. It'll still be kick ass straight out of the box =)

its prolly just like the 9600's ... wat thy did with those is, the standard had less pipelines then the xt, cause the standards were made out of defective xt's. that prolly what thy did with the 6800, the standard may have 4 more pipes, but only 2 or 3 of them may actually work. may not be worth the trouble of overclocking/moding/flashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom