Ethernet to Wireless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
I need to know if this can be done. The situation:
Desktop has a integrated 10/100/1000 ethernet port.
-Apartment the owner lives in has Free Wifi for all residents.
-Desktop has no room for wireless card, is under warranty, and owner doesn't want to crack the case.

Is there a device that can be used to plug into the Ethernet - to a "hub" of sorts, to transmit wirelessly to get the free Wifi signal? (so internet browsing is possible upon this particular PC without voiding warrenty or paying for seperate net...)

if so... link examples or provide exact names. I am getting mixed results with Google.

I know some USB wireless devices are available for this - but those can get pricey, and the owners don't really have any open USB (so a hub would be needed on top of it... which is more money and probably more expensive in the long run.)

USB wi-fi would be the easiest and cheapest solution. Otherwise you would have to run an ethernet cable from your computer to the source router or a router picking up the signal - which doesn't sound like an option either.

Do you really not have ANY free USB ports?

You'd have to get a small wireless bridge or router, there's nothing else that'd work.
Ethernet ports don't provide any power, which is why there's no adapters or dongles for this application.

Literally there are 2 usb ports on this old thing, and both are in use (Mouse and Webcam I believe - kinda pointless to have a webcam without the web.... but they got it before they moved here) there were more ports but some have become damaged from a kid and no longer read USB devices.

Yea hard wiring isn't possible. the bridge device sounds like what I was looking for - able to plug into a wall outlet for power is no problem - plenty of outlets in the room.

I'll have to weigh the options of Wireless Bridge and USB net card with USB hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom