ethernet speed help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default ethernet speed help

Not sure if this right forum, maybe network forum,dunno, the speed freaks seem to be here

Have an ethernet hub, will be replacing it with a switch, how much speed will that add assuming current setup can keep up with whatever the network can handle, which is the case now with a hub, even my p100 can flood my LAN with about 835Kbps in or out which is fast as any of my machines seem able to do currently.Besides running multiple ethernet lines in parallel(yes that can be done) is there anything else relatively cheap I can do?

Reason Im asking is Im about to setup another mosix cluster for a render/processing farm Im building,last one I setup worked fine but latency and thruput over the LAN tween machines was causing a bottleneck.

Last question is, what kind of speeds/thruput are you guys seeing over a LAN using an ethernet switch and decent ethernet cards?

Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

I thought with Intel cards and a linksys router I was getting 80

Tommorow, I will doubble check with my new Cisco Router 827-H, than check with it and gigabit switches
Closed Thread