Ethernet with no wire - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ethernet with no wire

now there's alot of information being thrown around the web about wireless ethernet. this pcmcia card, that cable etc etc

there's a many many solutions presneted out there, but what i'm asking is had anyone had any hands on experience with some home brew wireless ethernet on a budget? i've heard various things about ex gala><y tv dishes being modded for use with 2.4GHz units, peach tins for antennas?!?!

if anyone out there has successfully constructed a working link on a budget i'd love to hear about your experience.

my particular situation requires a link across 6-7kms of water and hopefully at 10Mbps.

Old 05-22-2002, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ethernet with no wire

now there's alot of information being thrown around the web about wireless ethernet. this pcmcia card, that cable etc etc

there's a many many solutions presneted out there, but what i'm asking is had anyone had any hands on experience with some home brew wireless ethernet on a budget? i've heard various things about ex gala><y tv dishes being modded for use with 2.4GHz units, peach tins for antennas?!?!

if anyone out there has successfully constructed a working link on a budget i'd love to hear about your experience.

my particular situation requires a link across 6-7kms of water and hopefully at 10Mbps.

Old 05-24-2002, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If I understand your question correctly. You want to set up a wireless network that is cheap. Linksys was rated the top of it's class for small office/ home use by PC magazine and the access point will only run you around $150 and the network adapter is around $70. There are some limitations to wireless, but I found that it works great for the money. I hope this answers your question.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If I understand your question correctly. You want to set up a wireless network that is cheap. Linksys was rated the top of it's class for small office/ home use by PC magazine and the access point will only run you around $150 and the network adapter is around $70. There are some limitations to wireless, but I found that it works great for the money. I hope this answers your question.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Sport1031

6-7 KMs over water. Good luck!
Closed Thread