Ethernet Cable Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpage01

Baseband Member
OK, Im going to connect a computer to a router together with an ethernet cable, I look at the shop (newegg.com) and i see that there are 2 types of 100ft ethernet cables (I need a 100 ft one), one is 7.99 and is labeled :
TRENDware/ TRENDnet 100 Foot Cat 5e Stranded Patch Cable, Model "TC-100C5EB"
and the other is 25.99 and labeled:
BELKIN Component Category 6 Cat. 6 Snagless patch cable, 100 Feet, Model "A3L980-100cS"_

My question is, what is the difference between them? and would it matter which one i had?
ok im not making this very clear, and i also know nothing about computers so ill do a diagram

ROUTER-----------CABLE MODEM----------COMPUTER (UPSTAIRS)
l
l
l
l
l
COMPUTER (DOWNSTAIRS)

The lines are ethernet cables

ok so to reemphasize Does it matter which one i get? or should i go with the cheap one?

Thanks very much

If you were running a high end corporate office then I would suggest CAT 6, but for the home use there is no need to spent all that money, go with the cheap one.

cheers

Babolsar said:
If you were running a high end corporate office then I would suggest CAT 6, but for the home use there is no need to spent all that money, go with the cheap one.

cheers

Meh yeah I agree, we use CAT5 when we networked our classrooms at school... they work alright. Might as well save a little $$$ aye?

Pavlyk said:
No offense, but this is the wrong section of the forum

I guess it is... didn't relize. Not my responsiblity anyway... If it is that serious, I'm sure a mod will move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom