ESD and Protecting Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Maybe i've just been lucky. I've taken apart and put back together a couple of pc's over the years and i've never ever had any problems with ESD (Electro Static Discharge). Even on this pc (i don't even have a case cover, just a frame) i routinely stick my hand inside to fiddle with a cable, adjust the failing RAM module and loose socket, or more. Yesterday i had to give the cpufan a twirl to get it going lol.

What are the many ways to protect yourself from ESD, especially when working on new computer parts? I know there are arm/wrist bands. I know you can touch/hold onto the frame of the case to ground yourself. What else? Anything?

Well, you can also get an anti static mat and put whatever equipment you want on it (Even though you should still ground yourself on the case just... just in case)

These are the basic and most effective ways of avoiding a damaged component!

Myself, I never had problem with ESD, I don't have anti static mat either, it looks like ESD rarely happens? how can it happen?

Thanks Microbell. I've never had any probs with esd (except in cold weather up north, whenever i try to touch a door or something). I've tampered with computers many, many times and i've never had any probs nor use any kinda mats or wrist straps. I use common sense and i'm pretty cautious by nature.

yea i thought it would NEVER happen to me till i blew out a mobo because i had no static protection. now i had to buy a new one :(

Hmmm. When it happened... did you see anything? Like when you go to touch a door knob sometimes you'll see a little spark or something. Did you see an arc? Or how did you find out? Just all of a sudden the mb didnt work?

Sometimes when ESD happens, you dont even notice it. The ESD you're used to is getting shocks from touching doorknobs, etc. There still might be ESD when you touch something, even though you didn't notice it. And usually the chip is more sensitive to ESD than you can feel. But, usually you aren't electically charged up enough to ever cause any problems.

i dont wear my seatbelt when i drive my car and i havent crashed and yet.......................................................

its a safety thing

yea i didnt even notice it till i installed it into the case and it wouldnt power up. so even if you think it wont happen to you, just watch out because you will never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom