Error after Windows XP Booting Screen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2003, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Error after Windows XP Booting Screen

Alright, earlier today my mom went on the internet on her computer, and she couldn't get to google or any other search engines cause of spyware which made her homepage some lame search engine site and did a complete browser takeover.

On the site at the bottom there was "steps" to deleting the browser takeover in the registry. Well, he followed the steps, which she shouldn't have and then she restarted her computer. Well, now she gets the, "Windows had a problem booting, please choose an option" with like, "Start Windows XP normally, etc."

Whenever I try to go into safemode, it freezes. Whenever I try to run with last good configuration settings, the monitor shows the Windows XP boot screen with the loading bar, then after that the screen is black, and doesn't do anything.

Everything I have tried, in terms of booting in Safemode, Last good Config settings, etc. it hasn't worked.

Any ideas on how to fix? Reformat maybe?

Old 11-17-2003, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Lostman Send a message via AIM to Lostman Send a message via Yahoo to Lostman

One word.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's my parents computer and they don't know that much about them. Why would I waste my time with Linux? They only surf the internet, check email and that's about it.

I would like an actual answer. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Dont reformat yet. Try to reinstall XP. If it doesnt work, then reformat. I may be wrong, spyware may disguise itself as a bad sector.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

mm... at least try booting from your windows cd..
Closed Thread