enclosure for ata-133 harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the heck is an enclosure and why dont you just mount it where all the other hard drives are and connect it with IDE

Sport1031 said:
what the heck is an enclosure and why dont you just mount it where all the other hard drives are and connect it with IDE
Be honest...did your parents drink a lot before you were born?

An enclosure (otherwise usually known as an "external drive case") is for using drives that you don't want inside your case (for many reasons, including space, heat, cable-management, and ease of movement between machines). Enclosures can be for practically any device you put into a box, with the exception of CBs slotted into the motherboard (PCI, AGP, RAM, PSU, etc).

----------------

KB3JUV, I just grabbed a couple of these from CompUSA for throwing old drives in for achive file searching:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=312100&pfp=SEARCH

Very easy to use, cheap, USB 2.0. I had no problems getting drives to work with them, and they're very stable (won't fall over easily).

All you really need to do is just make sure the controller card inside the enclosure supports the same format as your drive. If you have an ATA-133 drive, get an enclosure (like the one I mentioned) that supports ATA-133.

ShoobieRat said:
Be honest...did your parents drink a lot before you were born?

An enclosure (otherwise usually known as an "external drive case") is for using drives that you don't want inside your case (for many reasons, including space, heat, cable-management, and ease of movement between machines). Enclosures can be for practically any device you put into a box, with the exception of CBs slotted into the motherboard (PCI, AGP, RAM, PSU, etc).

----------------

KB3JUV, I just grabbed a couple of these from CompUSA for throwing old drives in for achive file searching:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=312100&pfp=SEARCH

Very easy to use, cheap, USB 2.0. I had no problems getting drives to work with them, and they're very stable (won't fall over easily).

All you really need to do is just make sure the controller card inside the enclosure supports the same format as your drive. If you have an ATA-133 drive, get an enclosure (like the one I mentioned) that supports ATA-133.

So this one supports ATA-133? If so, I will just buy this one.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom