Emergency for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoWarrior

In Runtime
What exactly would happen if I Barly smuged the top corner of the Thermal Interface material on the heat sink. It's small but I need to know now!

Thanks

your computer will blow up! :amazed: ....

don't worry about it. check your CPU temperature in the BIOS hardware monitor utility. assuming you have an Athlon XP CPU if your CPU temp gets above 55 celcius than you should start worrying. you could also just add more paste if you don't think it's enough

Thats a relief guys thanks, about that paste...what is it? Do you mean the paste that touches the processor from the heatsink?

P.S. LOL, about the computer blowing up, you had me there for a second:laughing:

Thermal compound AKA thermal paste is the paste (usually white, except for the expensive stuff) that goes between the CPU and the Heatsink. It conducts heat very well and helps make a better "connection" of heat conduction between your CPU and Heatsink (neither surface is perfectly smooth, nor will they contact perfectly flush with one another.

I've done that a couple times myself - opening up a new HS (with pre-applied paste) or applying paste to a heatsink... I forget it is there and *stick* i pick up a heatsink the wrong way and smudge it all up...

If you dont have any thermal paste, then you can probably very carefully scrape the smudged compound with a small screwdriver and then very carefully re-apply it so it's nice and sa-mooth and even. I've had to do that perticular "proceadure" a few times after I ran out of thermal compound and needed to take off the heatsink... just scraped all the oozed excess and re-applied it for a temporary fix. I even dropped my temps one time by 3 degrees (celcius) after reapplying the old stuff, and thats it.

May the force be with you and in your thermal compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom