Emergency Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

freenet

Baseband Member
Whenever I load up a PC game, diablo 2 in this case, my computer shuts off after about 10 minutes. I can surf the net all i want with no probs. When it shuts off i still have power to lights on the computer it just wont run until i unplug it and turn it back on. I figured it must be overheating so i took it apart and cleaned everything out. I noticed after cleaning it that the power supply is getting very hot which must be the problem. I also noticed that the fan on the power supply is not turning on and that the fan blade doesnt spin freely like the processor fan or the other fan. Does anyone know if it should spin freely? maybe it siezed up?
Im figuring this must be the problem but my computer knowledge is moderate at best. BTW the computer is HP 1.6GHz that ive had for about 2 1/2 yrs i think. Any help is greatly appreciated.
also the processor is only running at 93 degrees. thats good right?

Thanks
Joe M

Overheating will definitely cause your computer to behave in strange ways, especially if it is in an enclosed space or under a desk with a bunch of stuff on it.

I would look into getting a new power supply, the fan should be spinning and the power supply should NOT be hot to the touch. If you run it too long, you will start to smell that distinct smell of burning electronics....

And good troubleshooting, many people completely neglect the power supply as a source of the problem!!!

Remember, playing a game is more resource intensive than browsing the net... your hard drive is blazing, your processor is working over time, your memory is working frantically... all these things can cause the temperature in your case to rise... thus causing the problems you just stated.

You can get a cheap power supply in E-Bay, look around. Remember to get something with adequate power, a 300 or 350 watt PSU should do just fine.

Well it def. was the power supply fan that was the problem. For whatever reason it siezed. I have another HP PC that i went and removed the power source from and all is well. I havent ran any games but im sure the problem is fixed. I have no idea how long the fan has been dead but i guess it hasnt mattered because i pretty much just use this PC for internet browsing and downloading.

One other question maybe someone could answer is the old power source was 200w and the one i swapped in is only 150w. Will that cause any problems?

Thanks
Joe M.

No, you won't have any problems there. The only time you will have trouble is if you use a power supply that can't provide the needed power to the motherboard and its components. For example, if you were to use a 150 watt power supply on the computer that had the 200 watt power supply, you might see trouble.

Having a power supply with a higher wattage won't damage your computer it just means that the power supply could handle more power consumption from the PC.

Get rid of HP, their cooling designs are really stupid. If your not going to buy a custom PC then get Dell or ailenware or voodoo PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom