Elementary Speaker Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elessar

Beta member
I recently bought a new monitor for my old Compaq system. My old monitor was also the power source for some JBL speakers that came with the old system. My new monitor does not have a power jack for the speakers. They really work quite well for stock issue and I would like to keep them.

My question is two-fold:

1.) Can I just buy some sort of voltaqe converter or something which I can plug into a power strip in order to power the speakers?

2.) If there's nothing available that would allow me to keep my old speakers, what spec's do I need to know in order to buy a reasonably good pair of speakers. (I'm not really a connoiseur of music hardware, so anything comparable to what I have now would be adequate.) My current speakers are the JBL Platinum series and the only specs visible on the speaker case is 12V DC--1.0 A. Does the 1.0 A signify that they draw 1 amp? The speakers are so old that nothing is still available on them at the JBL site.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks for answering my post. I hope you wont mind just one more.

I'm also looking at the NewEgg site to buy some new speakers and it says that all of them are 2.0---what does this number signify? Also, the pictures of the speakers don't show any DC converter, only a power plug. If I buy some of these speakers, will I have to buy a converter as well?

Also, I assume that the greater the range of frequency response (e.g. 75Hz to 20kHz vs. 150Hz to 15kHz), the better the speaker. Further, I also assume that a 4 watt pair of speakers is literally twice as powerful as a 2 watt pair. Am I right on these assumptions?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I do know a bit about computers in general, but, obviously, next to nothing about speakers. Can you help?

Incidentally, I recently put in an Intel D101GG mobo with a RealTek audio subsystem, if that has any bearing on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom