Editing System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you can get away with only one cdrom. I only have one, and most people I know only have one.

As for the Apple, no, he dosent want an Apple, he wants a PC, or else he would have said he wants an apple. Yes, Final cut Pro is a top of the line program, but there are others that are just as good. Adobe Premier is a very popular program, and is often used for big budget movies. MAYA is another one that is one of the best out there.

The DVD-RW drive you picked will be the only optical drive you need. It will play all dvd-rom, cd, audio, etc.

I would really consider changing your CPU and Mobo if I were you though. Socket 478 is really outdated, and intel will stop making CPU's for it before too long, if they haven't already. Plus, you're paying a pretty penny for such an outdated board if you get the one that you picked out. Your computer would be fast, but my suggestion will make it quite a bit faster for video editing/encoding. You would be much better off with a dual core processor. Intel's cheapest dual core is only $20 more than the CPU you picked out, so the difference is very minor. You can check out intel's dual cores here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=343&Submit=Property

Match that with a motherboard and switch your memory to DDR2 and that combo will be much more efficient at video editing (not to mention way more upgradeable in the future).

hey he was asking for advice on what computer he should get. if he is buying a computer for video editing, and has the money to get a decent mac (macs are less bang for your buck) then he really should, for video editing.

also, AVID is considered more professional the Adobe although adobe really isnt bad.

and I still say
matrox, matrox, matrox!!!

Yeah, I knew you'd still say Matrox, so I didnt touch that one. :p

I didnt even notice that you were getting a socket 478 board. Why would you do such a thing? The socket 478's cost more money than the 775's, and not too much less than the dual cores. I'm not too keene on the dual cores as of yet, so I wouldnt be able to advise you on that front. But you have to AT LEAST go for a socket 775. At $180 for 3GHz, you really cant go wrong.

Him said:
Yeah, I knew you'd still say Matrox, so I didnt touch that one. :p

I didnt even notice that you were getting a socket 478 board. Why would you do such a thing? The socket 478's cost more money than the 775's, and not too much less than the dual cores. I'm not too keene on the dual cores as of yet, so I wouldnt be able to advise you on that front. But you have to AT LEAST go for a socket 775. At $180 for 3GHz, you really cant go wrong.

what? isnt that what he should get?!

Ok you dont need a mac, a PC is fine. You dont need a 10k raptor. A dedicated 7200rpm w/ 8mb cache is fine. Also you need to remember that uncompressed DV-AVI's are 3.5mb for each second. You might want to consider what size hard drive you want. My guess is that you will not have a DV deck, so all of the transferring is going to take place off of your cam. So having a big drive lets you transfer more video, the more video you can transfer/store, the less stress you are going to put on your cam. And you abosolutely DO NOT JOG VIDEO WITH YOU CAM, it will eat away at your heads so quickly

Try to get a LGA775 based cpu. Like HIM said, they are cheaper and they are new. And for a video card. Do you really want to spend $1,000? I would just get a decent video card for gaming, it should get the job done for the OpenGL stuff. You wont be able to view most complex effects without rendering the video first, but it gets the job done. But who says your going to be using complex effects?

And and about dual cores? A dual core would be great! I am assuming that you are going to use Adobe Premiere. And Premiere does support SMP.

it all depends. like people have been saying, go with the 10k RPM drives, about a gig of ram should hold you, but i am not sure about video cards. try to make it as good as possible though.

I'm thinking dual core isn't necessary at all. Socket 775 is obviously your good upgrade, and I do agree with a decent gaming Video card getting the job done. That's just my $.02

Ryan

A raptor is not neccessary, but it would make the computer a LOT snappier in general. Don't you think you should aim for the biggest bottlenecks when trying to improve system performance?

A dual-core CPU is a must as far as I'm concerned. For just $20 more than the cpu you originally listed, the performance increase would be very, very noticeable.

As far as video cards, I definitely recommend a simple gaming card for flexibility and price. If it was a purely dedicated business machine, you might want to look into a matrox though, but that's not quite what it sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom