ECS PT800CE-A: Is this MB worth keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean66

In Runtime
I'm building a new computer for my friend who doesn't want to spend a lot of money. Initially, I was going to get him a P4 3.0E CPU with an ASUS P4P800, but I got a great deal on the same CPU bundled with the ECS PT800CE-A mobo for $160. I was going to just keep the mobo for a second room system, but then I thought if the MB is ok, I'd just use it in his system.

I've heard that ECS boards aren't too good, but was hoping that someone had a good experience with this one? Is this chipset any good? It's the VIA PT800CE & 8237.

He's not really into gaming, he just wants an updated machine that he can do video editing from his new digital camcorder and older analog tapes and such.

Dean66

I have that same combo with a 3.2 P4 and an ECS pt800CE-A, its a mediocre board, but doesnt overclock at all and it only allows a total of 2gb. I would just get the combo and another board if it's cheaper, lemme guess Outpost.com? Got that same bundle with a 3.2 p4 for $220. Like I said it's a very mediocre board but i lack experience with other boards...

Bpowa,

What makes you say it's mediocre? I see it only takes up to 2 GB RAM, but that should be plenty for quite some time.

You're right. I did buy it at the brick and mortar Fry's. I'm not at all worried about overclocking. I'd just hate to build my best friend a comp that has all kinds of problems. I'm just worried about stability for the most part. I've had an ECS board in the past and it seemed to freeze up on me every once in a while. Since I replaced it with an ASUS P4P800, I've not had a single freeze up and it runs great.

I mainly bought it for the CPU. Newegg sells the same CPU for $181 by itself, so I couldn't pass it up.

Dean66

Well if it works, your lucky and its worth keeping.

The changes of it frying or giving you problems is high, but what do you have to loose?

I was hoping that a few people had at least given it a try and could comment with their impressions.

Dean66

I bought that same motherboard and cpu combo from frys also and for the most part the board works pretty good, but I have had some major annoying problems with it. The board will restart every now and then for now reason whether I'm surfing the net or burning a CD or trying to play a game. Another problem I have is that most of my wont work or when they they will only work for 5 or 10 minutes and then they make the blue of death come up or damn thing will reboot. THIS BOARD SUCKS!!!!! When I have the money I am going to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom