ECC Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse5150

Baseband Member
As some of you may know i have bought the Asus A7V8X-X mobo which apparently doesn't support ECC memory, does this mean that a stick of mem which has ECC wont work in this mobo or will it work but just with that feature not working?

Cheers

Oh right well thats good cos i accidentally bought 512Mb PC3200 Crucial ECC DDR CL3 ram (got a good price actually)

Why would you not recommend it MicroBell?

Why would you want ECC? The ECC (error correction code)'s purpose is to minimize errors within the RAM cache and is mainly designed for server/workstation use. The RAM actually gives worse performance when used on consumer PCs.

Here is a quote from Jim Brombaugh of Crucial Memory:

"Error correction code or error checking and correcting (ECC) memory is memory typically used in servers. It checks and corrects for errors during the transfer of data to and from the memory module. ECC is always going to be a little bit more money than the non-ECC simply because it has more chips on it to store the ECC information. Since the odds of an end user experiencing an error are very unlikely, and because the ECC functionality reduces overall performance (you will take a one to two percent performance hit), I would not recommend ECC memory for a gamer. Stick with non-parity modules."

http://actionvault.ign.com/features/interviews/crucialint.shtml

And so my learning curve grows ever steeper! Well what it was i won an auction on eBay, between putting (my very low) bid on it and winning it i bought a mobo which doesnlt support the ECC-feature that the memory has. The chap has been decent though and said he'll not mind as long as i pay the fee's.

Fair enough!

p.s. MicroBell you seem to know your stuff! Is there any brand of memory i shouldnt buy (i know to avoid generic) to put in this Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom