ebay Rambus 5-1-2-3 beep code ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webdrifterer

Beta member
I have a 8200 series Dell Dimension computer that has 256m of RDRAM configured in two strips of 128m strips. I recently decided to upgrade my ram so I purchased two additional strips of 256m RDRAM off of Ebay. First I installed the two 256m strips in my first two slots, and my old 128m strips in the last two slots. When the computer started to boot up I got an odd beep code 5-1-2-3. I then took the two 128m strips out and replaced them with the continuity strips, and still received the same 5-1-2-3 code. I then took the two 256m strips that I had purchased back out and reinstalled my original 128m strips, and my computer booted up just fine. I have also downloaded the newest bios version from Dell, and still have the same problem when I install the ram that I purchased off of ebay. My original 128m strips are Samsung 128mb/8 MR16R0828BN1-CK8 800-45 The Ram That I bought off of ebay is Samsung 256mb/16 ECC MR18R082GAN1-CK8 88-45. I need to know if the ram that I bought off of ebay is bad, or did I order the wrong type of ram for my computer. From everything that I've read this Rdram should work in my sysytem. Can ram be tested, and how ? The seller has a 15 day guarantee, so I can return it if it's bad.

Thanks for any help

What speed is your original RAM? I remember RDRAM came in speeds of PC800, PC600, and PC1066. If you mix speeds, then the RAM will not work, period. Check the speeds of the RAM and see if you are mixing speeds. If you are, then there is your problem.

Rdram speed

The speed of my current ram is 800 and the speed on what I bought is 800 also. I made a typo on my previous post. The RDRAM that I purchased off Ebay was Samsung 256mb/16 ECC MR18R082GAN1-CK8 800-45 . I've contacted the seller, and their response was as follows :

Unfortunately, the symptom you have gone through makes me believe that it is compatibility issue. All rambus modules that we offer came off from leased Compaq/IBM P3 or Dual P3 or P3 Xeon workstations.
Rambus modules have long history of complicated compatibility issue
and we found little luck in using them in DELL systems. P3 dell
workstation systems have better compatibility.

This response conflicts with other information that I've read on the Dell web sight as well as Samsung's web sight. Also other ebay sellers advertise this exact RDRAM to work in 8100 and 8200 series Dell Computers. The seller did however say to send it back if I feel it is defective.

This whole experience now has me wondering what the correct RDRAM for my system is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom