Dynamic hard drive questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to s37d
Default Dynamic hard drive questions

Hi, I've been reading about striped volumes and I'm a bit curious about them. How exactly are they different from mirrored volumes? Mirrored volumes basically save the data twice right, once to one hard drive and once to the other, so the hard drives just mirror one another and that acts as fault protection in case one dies. But striped volumes do not protect your data, so the writing process is different, but how exactly? Both striped volumes and mirrored volumes allow you to utilize the storage space of only one hard drive right, since it's copying the same data onto each hard drive?

Also, is there a hard drive retrieval speed increase when you go from a simple volume to a striped volume? If so, how many times faster? Thanks

Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Dynamic hard drive questions

I believe 'striped volumes' and 'mirrored volumes' are both used in RAID arrays, which is very outdated nowdays.

There are three key concepts in RAID: mirroring, the copying of data to more than one disk; striping, the splitting of data across more than one disk; and error correction, where redundant data is stored to allow problems to be detected and possibly fixed (known as fault tolerance). Different RAID levels use one or more of these techniques, depending on the system requirements.
Wiki has the answers

If you want to get a detailed answer on striped and mirrored disks, here's the links:

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to s37d

Thanks, I'm pretty clear on it now. Why are RAID arrays out of date now? I thought many people still used them because of their fault protection and increased speed?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
I believe 'striped volumes' and 'mirrored volumes' are both used in RAID arrays, which is very outdated nowdays.
Depends on what you are using for and how much money you want to spend.
I still used Mirrored Volumes a lot. RAID 0 is some thing i have no interested in as you have the problem that if you loose 1 drive, you loose the lot. Therefore, if I needed an extremely large volume, I would be using not less than RAID5

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Grinch

Older versions of raid are not used as much as a RAID 5 setup, or RAID 1. Zero, Two, Three, and Four are honestly, things of the past, and RAID 6, isn't seen that much either, you will usualy want a RAID 5 or some combo of raid levels.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

usually what you see nowadays is raid 1, 0, 5 or a combo of 0+1 or the likes. usually you see it in businesses only though. raid was never really a common household thing. not like a swifer or a plunger.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread