DVI question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default DVI question

how much clearer would mine be if I used a DVI video card with DVI cable compared to VGA. Is there that much of an improvement? Or is it only marginally better. Keep in mind I am not a gamer and will only watch movies on my PC on occasions.

I am wondering if I should spend the extra $30 if it's really that big of a difference.

Please let me know what you think.

thanks

Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: DVI question

well its not a huge difference but i find it is noticeable, but i only play games.

Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

It's a small difference, but the colors are clearer. But why do you have to spend $30 for DVI?

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

When going to replace an old lcd here the new wide screen model came with both vga and DVI cables for HD application. If your monitor lacks DVI input you would spending for nothing since a newer model bought later would likely see that anyways.

$30 is a little high depending on where you shop as well. You can find them for under $20 depending on brand and quality. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeCpc View Post
When going to replace an old lcd here the new wide screen model came with both vga and DVI cables for HD application. If your monitor lacks DVI input you would spending for nothing since a newer model bought later would likely see that anyways.

$30 is a little high depending on where you shop as well. You can find them for under $20 depending on brand and quality. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
I have the cable. I am talking about a DVI VIDEO card.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

well then you are just talking about the newer preferred interface of the gpu cards these days

it's just better in terms of CONVERSION....vga is analog and dvi is digital

the theory in all this electronics or computing stuff is that, the less conversion steps you go through, the better the product in the end, audio or video

the difference will be very minimal, in that nobody will notice anything when the image is moving...and you might be able to tell if you are looking at static imagery, like wallpaper, icons, etc...the difference can be scrutinized, but not when it's in motion and your eyes are 1-2 ft away from the screen

you can do a search on this and the more basic answer I would think is clearer...I'll attempt to explain is:

VGA is good for tubes or CRTs
DVI is good for tfts or lcds

I'll explain again if anybody needs

but as for your query, if you have a dvi video card and have an lcd...go for it, best match.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

You will that just about all ATI and NVidia models seen at this time simply toss a DVI to VGA adapter in along with the card for use on older monitors. The mid to high end models usually see two DVI output jacks like seen on the MSI model in the image here with a primary and secondary output for dual monitors.

Closed Thread