DVI problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGOODY

Solid State Member
I bought a new Sony monitor that has a "DVI-D" input, it also came with a "DVI" cable. My video card (ASUS V9520-TD) has a "DVI-I" output. The monitor will run fine with the old standard cable, however when I hook it up with the "DVI" cable it says that it does not have a signal. Have loaded all the newest drivers for the video card. And loaded the drivers for the Sony Monitor (flat screen).

Running Windows XP Pro. Asus P4-800-4E Deluxe motherboard, P-4 2.6 , and the ASUS V9520-TD video card.

The card is dvi-i and the new Sony is dvd-d, that site said to use the dvd-d cable. That is what came with the monitor. So apparently that is okay. When I hook it up with the dvi-d cable, it tells me I have no signal to it. So, I am trying now to get the video card people to help. I have the newest drivers they have installed. I have the manual the came with the card. No one seems to know what is wrong. I am trying to find someone close by that has a dvi monitor running, and take mine there and see if it is the monitor. If the monitor works there (with this cable) then I guess the is card bad.

The only difference is that DVI-I is a "digital/analog" connector while the DVI-D is purely digital.

Here is the difference in connectors:

http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Video-Flat.htm

Most video cards with the dual outs have the DVI-I because they will accept an adapter to go to a VGA connector (analog)

I have an LG L1920P 19" LCD Monitor with DVI-D input on it.

I have hooked this up to my PC, through the DVI connector on the back of my FX 5200 video card.

It took a little time to get it to recognize, a few reboots also.

Basically, I had to hook it up and let it detect, then switch it back to the VGA to make the changes in the display utility.

I also had to change the input on the monitor (not sure if yours auto detects or not)

It was kind of a pain, and I ended up just putting it back to VGA after it was all said and done.

I can only tell a slight difference in the image quality. You would need some pretty high end graphics going, and maybe a better video card than mine to see a very noticeable difference.

My ASUSv9560-FX5600 Dual DVI worked in abut 20 minutes with Samsung 153T's dual-auto-detect (AnalogDVID) LCD...until I restarted. ...see post: "nVidiaXP tech support, above...similar screen blackout?

DVI's advantage is about video quality at speed...high video frame rates or LCD response times are needed for 3D games or 3D solid model CAD.

...connect Primary monitor to primary DVI output...top DVI connection on ASUS9560-nVidiaFX5600 video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom