DVI to HDMI cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

skullknight10

Baseband Member
I really hope this isn't in the wrong thread. Anyway I want to get a DVI to HDMI cord to hook my video card up to my HDTV so I can watch my 1080p movies that are on my PC. I was looking at some of the different cables and many were around the $12-20 mark. The only really high one is $79 and its a Monster brand. Is the quality really that different to make it cost so much? I would just go into Best Buy and ask but im afraid all they would do is push me for the more expensive item so I thought id turn to you guys. Im willing to spend $79 but only if there is a major difference in quality. Any help?

Those expensive ones especially Monster brand, are not worth it, and you won't see a big difference. I bought a Monster cable once and wasn't impressed. I got the same quality for much cheaper. The bottom line is that any of those HDMI cables will do their job unless that wire had a defect. And yes, going into Best Buy, they will always push you to get the most expensive one claiming that its quality is unmatched by the cheaper brands. They're just trying to make more money, and that's the same thing those brands are trying to do.

Thank you so much! I'll go ahead and get a middle of the line $20 one. Yeah I was worried about asking someone at Best Buy cause they would probably do exactly what you said.

There actually is a bit of difference in the quality of the cable, but all cables must meet a particular HDMI standard, or they can not claim they are an HDMI cable. The one difference is how thick the insulation is on the individual wires, and the outer wire jacket. But for the price differences, it doesn't matter if you get a cheapy or not.

Quick question...I believe that a DVI to HDMI cable does not give sound just picture right? How would I get sound to play through my HDTV? Would a video card with an HDMI port on it already give sound since id just be using a straight HDMI cord?

From what I've read, in order to output sound using a DVI to HDMI adapter the DVI end of the adapter has to be DVI-D:
C0016A.jpg

And yes, a video card with an HDMI port will definitely output sound along with video since that's what HDMI was designed to output.

What is your graphic card by the way?

And yes, a video card with an HDMI port will definitely output sound along with video since that's what HDMI was designed to output.
Depends on the card. HDMI came out of the home theater (HT) world as an interface cable between totally separate devices - A/V receivers, DVD/BluRay players, cable/DVR boxes - not just TVs.

HDMI is being "pushed" (shoved?) on to the computer world by the monitor makers (Samsung, Sony, Vizio, etc.) who just happen to be the same people who make big screen TVs. The makers are trying to save money by not having to design for, buy, inventory two connectors that do much of the same thing. And that is not a bad thing, but confusing just the same because in computers, most of those separate devices are inside the case and already interfaced via the motherboard and controlled by the OS (and not by HDMI control signals - as done by HDMI in HT systems).

Most computer monitors don't have internal speakers. And those that do sound lousy by any fidelity standard. So most computer users use computer speakers - often 5.1 or even 7.1 surround sound speaker systems with a big thumping subwoofer. Remember, for a graphics card to support audio, it must (1) provide pass-through support from an existing sound card (or integrated sound) or, it must (2) have an integrated sound controller on the graphics card - and most less expensive cards don't - almost all motherboards have integrated sound.

Also, many, if not most, computer monitors don't have pass-through support for audio either - since computer speaker systems (and headphones - and microphones too) need an input from somewhere too.

So it is common to run video out to a monitor via HDMI and run "normal" audio cables from the sound card (or the motherboard's integrated sound) to the speaker system (typically the subwoofer - which contains the powered amps).

From what I've read, in order to output sound using a DVI to HDMI adapter the DVI end of the adapter has to be DVI-D:
Ummm, again - not necessarily. DVI-D, as seen here just means it carries digital video only. No "true" DVI format carries audio. However, both ATI and NVIDA have their own proprietary methods of pushing audio via DVD (typically over a DVD-D connector) with a special DVI to HDMI cable, but the display device must support audio (or audio pass-through) too.

There is no industry standard to push audio over DVI because HDMI is forcing DVI out of existence.

It's all confusing for sure. And will be until DVI fully phases out and HDMI is fully entrenched. But even then, full surround sound capability will have to come from somewhere. And while HDMI supports full 5.1 sound, it is not likely monitors will any time soon.

So there will still need to be a video cable out the monitor, and audio out to the speakers.

As for Monster Cables, I generally make every effort to stay miles away from them. They are WAY overpriced and have a history of poor - or rather downright shameful quality control. I would avoid the super cheap cables, but you don't have to buy the most expensive. For converting DVI to HDMI for video only, I would recommend simply an adapter, then use a standard HDMI cable. Then run your normal speaker cables out to your speakers.

Hmmm, I don't see any audio specs here. The "generic" quick install shows using an SPDIF cable from the motherboard header (or, I assume sound card header, if it has an internal one). But that quick guide is not specifically for your card. The generic manual, again, not specifically for your card, does not even contain the word "audio" or "sound" (except for "sound card drivers"). :(

Did your card come with a manual? What does it say in there?

I am 99% sure that the graphics card listed has audio capable outputs, but you must select that card as the audio device in your sound properties, and use a proper DVI to HDMI converter for these cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom