DVI or HDMI cable - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Old 07-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default DVI or HDMI cable

I run two monitors on my setup, one a 27in ASUS monitor the other a Samsung 48in LCD TV [ I use the 48In for gaming.
I power them with Twin ASUS GTX 560 TI GPU cards [ SLI ].
I am running the 27in with a DVI to HDMI cable, as monitor has no DVI input.
The 48 was hooked up the same way, but was having some issues with video freezing and/or momentary black screen, I am trying a HDMI to HDMI mini cable now.
the Question is,,,,does it matter on the GPU end , which output you use, DVI or mni-HDMI when going to ab HDMI monitor ? I can do either one, have both style cables,,,,, is there a preferred recipe ?
Options below, for one or both, or connect one each way ???

If DVI on GPU x 2, both on one card, or one on each card ?
If I go mini HDMI out, it would have to be one on each card.

PtownBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl
Default Re: DVI or HDMI cable

should not make any difference as both DVI and HDMI are digital signals.

Fat.Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Actually, true as the above comment may be, in a battle to the death (not literally) with Soul I came across some interesting information regarding HDMI output with PCs.

You need to make sure in your Nvidia Control Panel (NVCP) that the drivers are outputting and treating both your HDMI outputs as a PC screen rather than a TV because you can have color fade and other random problems. TV panel quality usually isn't as high as PC panel quality due to the fact that you're normally sitting further away. In this case, the drivers will detect (usually) any HDMI output as a TV and send out a different signal.

Without this simple issue which can be resolved, no there is no difference. Only one sends audio, the other doesn't.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok, thanks guys,,,,, as far as the video card/Nvidia control panel settings,,, I am not seeing what you describe, as far as an output selection option,,, TV or PC,,,, ?

I am using
Win 7 64 Bit, if that matters.
Duplicate display

ps. Think I found it on the resolution page,,,, the PC bracket does not allow for 1920/1080 resolution ,,,,, 1080P which I am set at now.

PC mode only shows 1680/1050
PtownBubba is offline   Reply With Quote