DVI/AVG? dual monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default DVI/VGA? dual monitor

I was looking at getting two TFT monitors for dual monitor display, i need to find out whether they use the DVI or AVG output on the graphics card which is a radeon 9800 pro (DVI + AVG out), i understand it supports 2 monitors but only if they use the vga because it comes with a dvi-vga adapter/converter.

Im not well up on monitors as iv had the one i have now for over 4 years, and thought it was time for an update i was looking at getting two LG Flatron L1720B 17" TFT's because they are in my price range, iv tryed looking for details about it but the best i can find is that they are analogue not digital, but im not sure if this is anything related to AVG or DVI... i wouldnt have even bothered about this untill a friend of mine said all TFT monitors use the DVI output on the graphics card.. but i thought surely not because then you wouldnt be able to use tft's for dual display? if this is the case is there a VGA-DVI converter?!

i could be and i am most likely on the wrong track so id appreciate it a lot if some one could put me back on the right one!!

Thank you

Ryan

Old 07-25-2004, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

its not actually AVG, its called D-SUB (also called VGA), ATI comes with both DVI and VGA (D-SUB) , and an extra DVI-D-SUB (VGA) convertor, as if you have 2 monitors both having D-SUB ports.

TFT comes with both cables, as if i have to mention mine, it came with both DVI and D-SUB cables.

XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Sony DVD-RW
Old 07-25-2004, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i knew it was vga or avg kept getting confused lol sorry

so i dont need to worry about them then? and i wouldnt even need the converter either if they came with both d-sub or dvi... do all TFT monitors come with both cables that would be much easier

thanks alot for your help
Old 07-25-2004, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

hmm, its OK, not to worry, at least u learnt now , I dont make fun of people making mistakes, as If i remember my first computer, i didnt know a damn thing about it, and if I see myself now, too much difference.

anyway, as far as the cables are concerned, i am not sure about every monitor, i think they do, as my monitor should have came with these as I have paid a good £1200 (2200$ equalivent) for my monitor. now if still they didnt send me the cables, I would have banged their A**
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Sony DVD-RW
Old 07-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

im in UK too, with the 9800pro (i havent got it yet) but i heard someone say if you use dual monitors that the 2nd monitor doesnt have as good graphics as the first, i'v also heard the using 2 monitors splits the performance in two so its half as powerfull as using one monitor... kind of thing, i really need to learn about dual monitors but iv searched on google and havent found anything of intrest, would you know of anywhere...?

iv found out the monitors come with a VGA cable, not sure about DVI might do though. but at least that means i can do dual monitors if i use the dvi-d-sub converter... does the converter lower the quality of the image on the screan?
Old 07-25-2004, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

no, it doesnt maters getting output on 2 monitors, have you ordered the 9800PRO? as this dual VGA output depends on drivres, and ATi is very very popular for weak Drivers (F*** Industry's most popular Catalyst - Liers), nVidia's Forceware is damn stable and its stabiliy is as well seen in dual out put.

using ATI on 2 monitos wont bring any performance decrease, not to worry.

btw, which monitor u r gonna get? and how much for? I have 4 pcs, in my home, of which 2 have TFT's (one's in my use with 21.3") and other I have
recently bought for my couisin AOC 19", very nice monitor with price as well good.

convertors doesnt as well bring any quality difference, I have used both cables, and damn can anyone tell me, on what cable I am, (even I cannot)
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Sony DVD-RW
Old 07-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i havent ordered it yet it will be quite a while away maybe christmas as im a student not got much money! i wanted the 9800pro as i know someone who has it and i thought it was a good card for say £130-£150 i mean i dont need it to be absolute stunning over the top graphics because at the moment i only have a 64mb ati some what or other in that iv had in for 5 years!!! and you could imagine what playing games like on it would be!!!
is the card your talking about better performance and same price range or cheaper than the 9800pro?

i was looking at the LG Flatron L1720B 17" TFT's because i can get them for £300/580$ each, from reviews it seems an alright monitor and i cant afford any dearer cos £600 + £150 for graphics card will come to £750/1400$, and it a lot of money for me but because i do graphics at college and hopefully take it on for a job when i leave or go Uni so itl be so much easier, using 2 monitors one for palletts and the other for the main window
Old 07-25-2004, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

9800PRO is very nice (better than nVidia FX), you can get the AOC Monitor (I bought 17" for 249£ including delivery, from a site (which I dont remember)

LG is expensive for nothing. which other monitor you'll use? as 17" panel is on 1280X1024 resolution.
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Sony DVD-RW
Old 07-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

also, get teh ATi of original ATi built (even if u can find OEM, doesnt matters)
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Sony DVD-RW
Old 07-25-2004, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

lol ok, i was thinking about getting two of them, what 2 monitors would you recomend for under £300 then?
ebuyer do an AOC 17" for £235

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=59972

not sure if it is the same though

the one i was looking at is

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=54719

Closed Thread