DVDrom and writer problem that has them all stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
The problem is my Compaq pc that I have had for approx. 1 year does not recognize my DVD/CDrom or the DVD/CDwriter. I have been through everything with Compaq support and they are no help. I have changed IDE cables. You name it I have done it.
Still the drives are not recognized by Windows XP. I can go into the BIOS and get the writer to be recognized, but after the pc sits idle for awhile it disappears. I was told it was a registry issue and downloaded a patch. No luck. I thought you guys might be of some help.

ekÆsine said:
have you tried using the compaq restore disc?

No, I have not. I'm not totally computer illiterate, but didn't know what would happen to my data if I used a restore disc?

killians45 said:
check and see if it sets up a drive emulation

I'm sure it does because it will make an "exact" copy CD. You put what you want to copy in one drive and a blank in the burner. I think this is what you mean by emulation? Right?

I think I may have found out what my problem is. I unhooked the IDE cable from the DVD/CDrom and the system booted up normally and windows detected the DVD/CD writer. This tells me I have a bad DVD/CDrom unless anyone else has another idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom