Is a DVD-RW (8x) drive worth getting for burning DVD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallett917

Solid State Member
First things first, I have no knowledge of DVD burning, but I would like to look into it.

Questions -

For one to burn DVD's, would one have to download and compress DVD (to about 4-5 GB) from DVD disk to computer. Is that right?

Then burn 4-5 GB of DVD audio to 4-5 GB DVD-R disk and then there is a DVD to watch on the DVD player? Is that right?

With a DVD-RW (8x) drive, how long would the whole process be? The whole process of download and compressing orginal DVD to computer and then burning it to a disk? Is there any quicker process or better alternative?

AND do any of you rent DVD's from Blockbuster and then burn the DVD? OR is there some type of guard on DVDs?

THANKS!

I think there is a guard on DVDs. I think one of my friends tried to copy a DVD and he couldn't because of the guard. Stupid media people!

A single layre DVD holds 4.7 Gig. There are some new Dual layer burners out but i haven't seen any disks for them though.

You can get one complete DVD on one writeable DVD. The DVDs you buy from the store are 9.4 Gig (dual layer), so you would have to compress the data to ~4.7Gig. When you compress the data you lose quality. If you have a state-of-the-art set up, you can notice the difference. If you're like most people you wont notice.

When i make back-up copies of my DVD collection, it takes about an hour. I'm using DVD X Copy express, It takes about 30 min to read it in and about 30 minutes to write. I, however, am using a 4X writer so an 8X writer may be faster. I don't know.

About renting then burning. That's copyright infringement and it's against the law. Technically you are only allowed to make copies of DVDs that you own. I'm sure some people rent and burn anyway. :)

I 'd wait on the 8x unless you can get it for the same price of a 4x. Try to get dual format though. 12X and 16x dvd burners will be coming so I'd wait to get one of those.

I think I'll wait for the 16x drive,

So, would I have trouble with a DVD guard. I do plan to burn every DVD I rent. To be honest, a dvd writer would be a huge investment for me in the long run. Hopefully companies don't go crazy with putting block guards on DVDs. BTW, I'm going to buy a whole new computer system. I have a Compaq now and its a peice of junk, nothing but trouble with it. I think I might get a new Dell (I hear good things about Dell).

Thanks for the info!

theres is software to get pased the guarded disk ( copyprotected). I rent dvd's and burn the ones I like so it seems you will be doing the same thing I do. You should have no problem. I use shrink and nero 6 ultra to burn my dvd's. It seems that dual layer disks will cost about $10 each when they come out. Also blue laser disks will also comeout. Wich will beable to hold alot more data but they will also cost alot too like $30 a disk. So i reccomend getting shrink until dual layer disks get cheaper.

Copyright protection on CD only works if you are burning on the fly. If you make an image of a cd, (or DVD), and then burn the image onto another cd (or DVD), the copyright protection does nothing.

However if you really want to burn on the fly, there is HEAPS of software out there to do it. I even think nero 6 lets you burn copyrighted software these days....

mallett- dont buy a dell, build your own! it can be less than half the price that way, and is much better in the end. youll have us to turn to if you have any problems.

magnum70 said:
theres is software to get pased the guarded disk ( copyprotected). I rent dvd's and burn the ones I like so it seems you will be doing the same thing I do. You should have no problem. I use shrink and nero 6 ultra to burn my dvd's. It seems that dual layer disks will cost about $10 each when they come out. Also blue laser disks will also comeout. Wich will beable to hold alot more data but they will also cost alot too like $30 a disk. So i reccomend getting shrink until dual layer disks get cheaper.

magnum70, you have use $10 dual layer disks to complete the process of burning through guarded DVD's?

sithspawn, do you mean download and compressing the DVD onto the computer, and then use that new image of audio and copy it to a DVD-R disk?

knuckle50, if I had the knowledge, I would defentily give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom