DVD-R/RW versus +R/RW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic~Fury

Baseband Member
What is the difference between -, +, and -+? My friends and I record movie by Hi8 and digitally, and we want to burn them and be able to watch them on DVD players and such, what would you recommend? I might also burn some game mods although I figure I could use a data disc from a CD-RW. Also some CG animation to be burned, 100% CG and some incorporated into real action. I mainly write, direct, and shoot music videos and some movies.

thanks

Here's the little info I can give ya on the media types. I'm sure these other guys will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

The media types are "-" and "+" because these standards were developed by different companies, and ATM there is no single standard for all DVD technology. Most new and alot of old DVD devices will support both types, as well as "R & RW" dics.

As for which type you should use, it mostly depends on what kind you need and what kind you CAN use. What kind of media will your burner use? what kind of media will your DVD player play?

Just to add to the above:
Recently, Microsoft has announced that they will be supporting DVD+RW as the preferred media type. Which means that media features of future Windows OS types will include support for the +RW type. It was a big article in PC World. Doesn't mean much to other OS type users, but I'd thought that I throw it in.

-Michael

Not sure if ekÆsine's this explains it all link says this, too lazy to read the article. What you have to know for the +- formats, is what format that the dvd player you want to play the burned copies on supports. If your home player supports the +r format then you have to use +r media. This goes along with your PC dvd rom. You must have the media that is compatible for the player not the burner. I highly reccomend the NEC 1300 a. It cost $99 and can do both formats.

From everything I could tell previously, plus the information above announcing Microsoft's support, the "+" format is the way to go. Yes, there are differences, but not in performance or otherwise, just format.

It looks like most recent hardware can support both, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "-" format eventually goes away.

Microsoft is supporting +RW? I personally see -RW as better because of compatibility with most regular DVD players...basically the knowledge that it will work on the players of the early purchasers. Oh well...what can we do. Stupid monopoly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom