DVD Playing Issues - Copyright??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2004, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question DVD Playing Issues - Copyright???

I have a Pioneer DVR-A03. About a week and a year after I purchased it (of course, right after the warranty expired) an orange LED started blinking on the front and it wouldn't read anything. Up until this point, I had no problems burning and/or playing all types of DVDs.

I called Pioneer and they recommended reseating the drive. I figured it was probably hosed but I tried anyway, and to my surprise, the burner began reading again. The problem now, however, is that whenever I put an encrypted commercial DVD in there, all of my software DVD players (i.e. Windows Media Player 9, PowerDVD, InterActual) all tell me that there is an issue with either CSS, digital copyright protection, etc. These applications had no problems with these DVDs before, and I haven't uninstalled any software or decoders during this ordeal.

Going to Windows Help told me that maybe I don't have a DVD decoder installed, and it pointed me to 3rd party locations where I could purchase decoder packs. My issue is that I know I was able to play all of these DVDs before, so if it is a missing decoder, where is it now? And I surely don't want to purchase anything if at all possible.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

You may want to check the country code to see if it has changed. Even though you reseated it and it does read it still maybe a hosed drive.

Crucial Performance Lab
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to cpl@micron.com
Old 04-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

you don't need to buy a decoder. just download a trial of winDVD and install it, free decoders! i am thinking re-installing the operating system would fix it. it might not be hardware failure
Closed Thread