DVD drive hangs up playing movies while on a shared IDE cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Perry

Beta member
Hey everyone, glad to find this site.

I only have two IDE slots on my Dell 2400 and I have an application that calls for two hard drives, but when I put my DVD RW in position 1 on one of the cables, it won't play movies (they hang up off and on), even when the HD in position 0 isn't doing anything visible. If two drives are on the same cable, is the MoBo intermittantly accessing both, even if you aren't using one?

If so, is there any way to disable this, electronically or physically, without actually swapping drives back and forth off the cable so each can be in the master position when needed and basically switched out of the circuit entirely when not needed? Can you put them both on and use device manager to install/uninstall as needed? Am I just missing something?

Just to be clear, I know about master/slave settings and in either case, the DVD drive had the same problem. It only works with movies when it is alone on its own cable. Data seems to come off okay. The files I copied onto the HDD on the same cable all worked fine. Only has a problem playing movies.

Could a driver update be necessary? The drive is less than six months old (a Sony double layer).

I know it's not the drive itself because it works fine by itself in position 0.

Thanks much,
Dave

I remember haveing a problem similar to this on a old K7 Motherboard from MSI, you may need to update your motherboard drivers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom